Green Thumb - Part II

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by toy_boy, Nov 30, 2008.

1. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Green Thumb Detailing - Part II

Cleaning out the door jams I noticed some dirt in the "pocket" where the door meets the fender. I stuck the vacuum hose in there and figured it was just a little dirt.

Forget it.

There was tons of dirt, leaves, tiny acorns, a rusty nail, etc. - and all of it very damp. I have to admit I immediately panicked, because this is how rust forms! All that stuff just absorbs water and sits there like a wet sponge.

I removed the 2 bolts holding the lower portion of the fender and with a putty knife / scraper I reached in there to loosen everything up. What fell out, I took a photo of.

I'm just happy the rust in the pocket was minute. Very lucky.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  2. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    . . . WOW, now thats a stash . . . your secret is out man . . . Its amazing what you can find in those spaces! In my 75' I found about the same thing, except mine was pine needles, leaves and some rocky mountain mud, I cleaned it all out and coated the back of the fender with undercoater after a good rust prevention spray. At the same time, I decided to clean out the bottom of the doors after noticing some old glue remnants laying in the bottom. . .

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  3. Sound.Vision.Soul

Sound.Vision.Soul Toyotaholic

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    Holy snikey! I better check mine out too!

4. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    looks like all your missing is a bee's nest and a kitchen sink:D

if you found that much crap in there i would check out the heater inlet/wiper cavity. the drain is right above where that stash was and there is prolly a lot more leaves in there.

5. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4

You know, I thought about that as soon as I was done cleaning out both fenders. Just looking through the vents it looked clean. But I know better. I ran out of daylight at the time, but I'll definitely get to it this week.

But you're absolutely right. I just hope I don't find a raccoon in there! :) Or worse - a snake! I bought the truck from a couple who lived in a pretty rural area.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  6. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    This is just another story of how to live with good ole mother nature. . . after I bought my 75', I swear the Wasps would not leave the door jams alone, I knock em out, clean it up and those lil suckers would make it right back in there, tryed everything, but they were relentless, SOO, I learned to live with them and when it got cooler, they left. I never messed with them while they lived in the front of the door jambs and they never swarmed me, Im figuring, Maybe just Maybe, they were Toyota enthusiasts too. . .

7. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    lmfao i bet they loved it. as for the junky stuff that came out, THAT IS ALOT!!

my truck doesnt have that much tho