Got no spark and no more ideas why!

Discussion in '1976-1983 Pickup Discussion' started by Shane, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Shane

Shane Newbie

Hey! So, I just did an engine swap on my 1976 toyota pickup . I'm almost all finished but I don't have a spark. The truck turned over earlier but now it wont. The wires, rotor, and cap are good. I'm getting power to the solenoid and tried another solenold I had and just put a new control module on. I'm completely stumped as to what else it could be. I did bump the vacuum advance on the distributor and tried to take it out until I realised iI could fix it and put it back in. Could it have something to do with that? Any other ideas it could be?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    If it wont turn over then check your starter and the wiring to it.

If it turns over then make sure you have the coil and igniter wired correctly. Check your fuses. Start with the easy stuff first

3. Shane

Shane Newbie

Hey thanks for reaching out. So it cranks up the starter is working, fuses are good (just tested all the fuses and the ports for the fuses, and just double checked the wiring for the igniter all is good. Got power going to the solenoid, got conductivity going through the wires to the distributor, the rotor is turning, good ground. Any other thoughts on what it could be?

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Have you actually pulled a plug wire and checked if it arcs?
    Timing could be off or the plug wires aint right

YOguyDA likes this.
  5. Shane

Shane Newbie

Yea I did. Today I isolated the ignition coil and control module and tested that. There is no spark from the coil. I replaced the control module 3 times now no luck and tested the coil and it's reading in the right specs lol haha I am just a complete loss. There's power going in, it's properly grounded, all wires have connectivity. I got nothing

6. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    My thoughts exactly!

You have spark or u don't at all?

7. Shane

Shane Newbie

I don't have any spark at all. I just replaced the coil and the control module. Still no spark at all. I got power going through it but no spark. I tried two different sets of wires even.

8. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    So, u replaced the coil with a brand new one and still nothing?

9. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    If it feels like I'm asking stupid and repetitive questions, it's because diagnosing online is difficult.

If all wiring is good, functioning the way it's supposed to and hooked up correctly to a brand new coil setup, then ???

Are u taking the wire from the coil, with a spark plug attached and grounding it out while someone cranks it over?

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    post a pic of your wiring going to the igniter and coil please.

Shane likes this.
  11. Shane

Shane Newbie

After 3 days I finally figured it out. Apparently, when I damaged the vacuum advance and went into the distributor to take it off my screwdriver somehow shorted out the magnetic relay thing. Got a new distributor and bam she's purrin' now. Got the new engine in and the chinook lives on to fight another day lol thanks for all ya reaching out with ideas!!! Just upgraded my knowledge to ignition master now lol

YOguyDA and jetas like this.
  12. Jimmy Siu

Jimmy Siu Newbie

Good to hear. Newbie here and in the same boat right now. Joining to find some solutions.