getting a toyota pickup to handle

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by JPN_jimmy, Nov 5, 2014.

1. JPN_jimmy

JPN_jimmy Newbie

Truck:
    1999 4X4 Hilux, 2000 2X4 Hilux
    Hi guys, I have been a stalker on this site for a while now but I'm starting to want more performance out of my daily driver (2000 model toyota hilux with a 3RZ motor and manual transmission, same chassis as the pre-95 pickup). I have started to collect some parts to get a bit more out of the engine (turbo, injectors, intake manifold, computer, etc) but I'm looking to upgrade the suspension before all that gear goes on.

So far I have:
    QA1 Proma Star Coil-Over Shocks
    QA1 Coil Springs 9 inch 550lbs./in.
    Howe Steering Quickener 1.5:1
    Belltech Front Spindles 2 inch drop
    Belltech front Anti-Sway Bar
    So now I'm looking at a new set of A-arms that have the right geometry to make it handle. Can anyone list some companies that make them and the websites that sell them?
    I looked at the cando A-arms but the company that sells them in Australia wants $1430 for them, do any of you guys know what companies sell those arms in the US?
    Thanks for any help

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    See if you can get them direct from Can-Do

3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    The new owner of the shop that was CanDo ,new name ,probably still makes & sells them!:cool:

4. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
  5. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    550lb springs are going to be really stiff. I run 14'' 400lb springs in my truck and it sees air and I think its still a little over sprung.

6. JPN_jimmy

JPN_jimmy Newbie

Truck:
    I sent can-do (KBS fabrication) facebook message and they pointed me to the australian distributor, I'm not sure they would want to undercut their distributor in another country though.
    I wasn't 100% sure on the spring rates, but I did see that the QA1 conversion for tacos used a 525lb spring (I think it was 525lbs, can't quite remember though). Also my total chaos kit in my 4x4 hilux has 550lbs springs....... dunno how that rides though, cause it's still not finished :( hopefully the spring rate i got isn't too stiff

7. JPN_jimmy

JPN_jimmy Newbie

Truck:
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  8. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    With the extra leverage from the longer arms and the extra weight from all the 4x4 components, that spring rate will be good on your 4x4. Most guys I've seen run between 500 and 600 single rate for that front setup.

But now that I'm thinking about it, since you are lowering the truck with the coilovers, you will want a little bit stiffer of a rate so the truck doesn't blow right through its travel and bottom out on everything.

9. JPN_jimmy

JPN_jimmy Newbie

Truck:
    Yeah, i can always get new springs if the ones I have are too stiff. I sent KBS fabrication a message about a direct sale and they said no. Anyone know of any other shops that sell the can-do A-arms?

10. Dcups

Dcups Addict

Truck:
    93 Std Cab chassis/4Runner 2door body
    Any shots of the truck in action? How's the handling?

11. JPN_jimmy

JPN_jimmy Newbie

Truck:
    It's riding on some old blown shocks with no bump stops and the torsion bars wound down, so it's pretty average right now. Although the Belltech anti-sway bar did make a noticeable difference (probably because the old link bushes were flogged out). I sent an email to a shop about getting the can-do A-arms, but they didn't bother replying to it :(

12. Sound.Vision.Soul

Sound.Vision.Soul Toyotaholic

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    Hey guys. Any one have pictures of there front coil spring setups? Im looking at getting rid of my torsion bars and upgrading to coil over. Thanks