Future HID projector coversion - looking for help

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Minischwendy, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Minischwendy

Minischwendy Member

Truck:
    92 Extended Cab
    Hey guys I want to do an HID projector conversion and I know I want to do 6000k hi/low projectors. However past that I don't have a clue what to buy or what to do. If anyone has already done this conversion and could give me a walk through I would greatly appreciate it. Any advice would help too. Pics greatly appreciated. Doesn't have to be the exact temperature but just in general. Thanks!

2. Scr8pnyota

Scr8pnyota Member

It's pretty easy, you gotta get headlamp that takes the H4 bulb size. They have
    bunch of different styles now and with a projector too. And than just get a H4 hid
    Kit with the high and low beam option. I just use the normal low beam kit since they
    Are bright already. They are plug and play and easy to do and they are all over ebay

3. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    [​IMG]

To do it right and actually get light out onto the road, start here
    The Retrofit Source Inc

4. Scr8pnyota

Scr8pnyota Member

5. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Yeah, OEM's are the only way to go if you are going to do it. I think it looks dodgy though. There isn't a good way to make them look like they should be there without doing a whole headlight housing swap from something that originally had them.

The Land Rover/Toyota swap comes to mind.

1988 Toyota Pickup Front View Photo 3

6. Scr8pnyota

Scr8pnyota Member

Yea I'm not a fan of projector lights. I had them in my BMW stock and didn't like the light pattern. I remeber
    That black Toyota with the rover lights and that does look good.

7. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
  8. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    Holy Santa Claus sh!t! That is freakin amazing. I want that front clip! I would rather have the center bar with the Toyota emblem incorporated in that grille. :waytogo:

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Projectors are really the only way to run HIDs efficiently. Regular reflector housings just scatter the light. Hell even some halogen projectors scatter the light. If your guna do it, do it right. Dont be that guy that blinds everyone.

10. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Most H4 conversion housings are absolute fawking trash with HID bulbs. A fluted lense helps aim the light where it is supposed to be, unfortunately 99.9% of the housings out there have plain lenses which just scatters the light right into oncoming traffic.

I'm running 55 watt 6k HIDs with crappy housings, I have them aimed way low so they aren't too blinding but my Hella housings will be here tomorrow so I can aim them properly. :D

11. Minischwendy

Minischwendy Member

Truck:
    92 Extended Cab
    Alright. That was kind of my plan. Is it a complicated swap? I'm not scared to tear into it. I'm just scared I'm going to screw something up and not have headlights. It is a daily driver so I can't have her down for very long. And what all does it involve? Like what all stuff do I need? I know the h4 bulbs and a 55 watt hi/low kit but what all does that include and what else do I need for projectors? I wanna do it right the first time around.

12. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Good gawd PLEASE do not run HID's in a housing DESIGNED FOR HALOGENS, I'm talking about reflectors here.

Go to TheRetroFitSource.com like posted before.

I bought a 7x6" headlight housing with clear lens up front and bought the TRS Morimoto FX-R 3.0 3" 35W 5000K kit for $270 when they had a Thanksgiving sale.
    Sure as hell bang for buck, you'll be drooling over your cutoff, light projection (as in distance), and most of all, reduced eye fatigue and strain for you and oncoming traffic.
    I can't tell you how many times I'll pull up next to a vehicle with HID's in reflectors and my output destroys what they have. (Not like they have much anyway.) (Plus, when I pull away, I get blinded by their stray light.)

anyway..
    7x6" housing
    Projector retrofit kit. A few of our members used the Mini D2S or Mini H1 projector kit. This makes retrofitting a breeze, most of all, these things perform absolutely well, way better than any reflector setup.
    Choose your shroud of choice, matching it to the projector itself.
    I used the H4/9003 wiring harness that you can choose.

If you have a dremel, you're good to go. This helps with the retro quite a lot.

By the way, check out HIDPlanet.com for more retro information.

When I did my retrofit, I took a whole day during my weekend. Aside from not having space and messing up on my painting, I took a lot of time lol.

Don't buy the glass lens and metal housings from ebay/amazon. The glass lens on the housing isn't perfectly straight and will distort that beautiful cutoff.

Get Pilot 7x6's from Amazon for $30. I just ordered some, I'll be redoing my retrofit when I return from my deployment.

Any blue lighting is a waste, doesn't help you see at night.

I apologize if I'm rambling on, I'm a bit religious about using quality parts and doing things the right way. No point in bragging about Toyota quality when people use cheap knock off parts or do things the wrong way around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These two photos above are taken in the fog when I first retro'd them in.
    This next one is from the same time frame, I think.
    [​IMG]

Horrible driving shot. Doesn't do any justice on the distance and width of my beam. I'll get better pics when I return home. Bought myself a Canon 70D 18-135mm for $1100 :D
    [​IMG]

Here's my completed retro... I put a little too much butyl rubber to hold the lens onto the housing. These will look better when I redo them.
    Forgot to mention I got the E55R shrouds. I chose these because they're quite large to accent my 3" lens, plus it gives a very subtle appeal. Most of the shrouds available look so tacky. This looks more OEM than anything, plus I still feel 90's modern. Something LitNeon mentioned about projectors on our trucks. If you noticed, I pushed my projector back pretty far. Having a projector up to the lens looks VERY bug eyed, I hate that look.
    [​IMG]

This is how she actually looks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Halogens versus HID Projectors.
    [​IMG]

Fake projectors vs True Projectors
    [​IMG]

This was when I first mounted my lights. I still need plenty of aiming, even months after installation. (My headlight buckets aren't that tight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you ever looked at the H6054 housings that our truck uses along with the other H4 conversion housings, you will notice how deep they appear. To get a similar look, I pushed the projector deeper in.
    [​IMG]
    I was fully aware of my space behind my headlights and was willing to take the necessary modifications to fit my 7-8" deep headlights. Narrower battery, new intake, etc.... Most of you guys doing the retrofit probably would not have to do what I've done. Just housing, measure, cut, install projector, seal it up, install on truck, and plug in your wiring, then go aim. Easy as that, man.

Or go even more OEM looking, don't paint your shrouds or housings.
    [​IMG]

Let me know if you need any more information.

13. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    There's a thread on HIDPlanet on how to wrap together a projector kit for $200 or less using parts from TRS.
    If anything, Morimoto itself provides quality products.

I ordered CBI's a while back, nothing produces such a clean white with more lumens than CBI's.

14. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
  15. Minischwendy

Minischwendy Member

Truck:
    92 Extended Cab
    Ummmm. Thanks! Lol that's actually pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate it!!!

16. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    I second this. You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

17. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    If you want glass lens, look up Nokya 7x6" housings. I read on another forum last night that these have high quality glass lens (and it looks the part, too.)

Take a look through TRS's closeout section. B-stock FX-R's for $70, others for $35, you can easily put together a retrofit for cheap and still outperform any reflector setup.

Hmmm, on my right head light, I don't remember if I even had to use the factory plug.

Clean your grounds' mating surfaces and anything that's connectable, it will help ensure your setup is trouble free.

Hope I provided plenty of information. I'm pretty stoked to get home and work on the truck.

18. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Nam, That is awesome!

Did you ever post a write up on them before? I've somehow missed it.

While I do run standard H4 reflectors, the Hella's I have do have a decent cutoff. BUT, not as good as an OEM projector. Yes, I'm guilty of being that guy... I do get flashed every once in a while, usually if I'm riding Cali and don't realize.

Do you have high beams?

I still like the look of the OEM 5x7" glass. I'll never be a fan of the lens from a projector in the middle of the stock opening (even though it does work so well).

19. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Thanks, brother!
    I never made a write up, it's been hard to find the time. I got these during Thanksgiving holiday sale, got them retro'd, went home for Christmas and then packed for my deployment afterwards. Kinda hard to find some time to write up about it. I sure did get plenty of photos, but it would provide a rough idea of what to do for a projector retrofit. There's many ways to do it, but in the end you'll have yourself a nice product that is made with your own character.

Hella's are some good quality products. I think a quality H4 bulb in those housings would do quite well if one doesn't want to go projectors. It's better than HID's in a reflector, any day.

Yes, I do have high beams. I have bi-xenon projectors. Bi-xenon states that I have projectors that will provide low and high beam lighting. (This is done by an actuator/ selenoid flipping the cut off shield so the light can be delivered in a high beam pattern. The bulb doesn't move or anything. I'm sure you knew this, but I figured I let others know. It's funny when I get blinded by the typical Civic/ Integra/ Silverado with HID's in reflectors and I flash them back, only for their lights to turn off when they try to high beam me.)
    Each projector has it's own type of high beam pattern. Mine is quite unique when I did my research. When I engage in high beam mode, it'll open up this upsidedown triangle like pattern. That's fine because for high beams, you're looking for distance and it helps push it down the road. Against the wall, it looks funky, but on road, it's quite useful.

7x6", Lit ;)
    I'll be honest, my biggest challenge was to have a similar appearance to factory, if anything, make it appear OEM.
    I've seen the aftermarket projectors for Mustangs and they shove the projectors so far forward, it looks ugly. It does not give an OEM headlight look, but some people have done some proper retrofits with the projectors sunken in, and it gives a very OEM projector look.

I did notice that once I put the headlight housing lens on, it gives the housing much more depth, making it look even more OEM.
    I'm positive if the OP went with Mini H1's or Mini D2's, he could get a very OEM look to it. Those are actually made with an intent of super easy retrofitting.
    1. Open up headlight.
    2. Take off old H4 stuff.
    3. Put the back end of the projector through the H4 hole.
    4. Take the retaining ring for the projector and secure the projector from the back side threaded portion.
    5. Add shroud, paint, yadda yadda ya, seal it up.
    6. Boom, projector retrofit in an evening.

20. Minischwendy

Minischwendy Member

Truck:
    92 Extended Cab
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014