Fuel pump might be dead?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by nottoshabi, Mar 10, 2019.

1. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

The truck died in the Costco line for gas. I pushed it to the pump filled up the tank with 15.8 gallons of gas but now the truck wont start. Also I don't hear the pump when I turn the ignition. I tried some quick start fluid and that turned it over but died immediately. If I pump the gas paddle for a while before starting it will start for a few revolutions before dying again. It also has been running really rough lately.

Does any one know a clever way to check if the pump is the culprit? Cause now I have a full tank to drain before I drop the tank, and love to be sure its the pump and not do all of that for no reason.

I'm looking at getting this pump. [​IMG]

2. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Im not sure what engine you have, carburettor, or efi? carburettor some have a sight glass so you can see if there is fuel in there, you may need a torch, if there is no fuel chances are pump or blocked fuel filter. EFI you really need to put a pressure gauge in the fuel line should be around 30psi. Sometimes you can get the intank pumps to start by wacking the bottom of the tank.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Check the fuses and relays first bro.

4. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

where is the relay? and what does it look like?

5. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Your oil pressure sender acts as an intermediary ground for your fuel pump. You should have a yellow with black stripe wire(single wire) with a plastic connector somewhere on the passenger side inner fender. Disconnect this wire then turn you ignition switch to “on” (not start). You should hear the fuel pump running. If not, the problem could be power to the pump or a bad pump. The relays rarely go bad.
    Or, unhook your fuel hose on the tank side of the fuel filter, stick it into a soda or water bottle and crank the engine for a few revolutions. See if you get any fuel in the bottle. If yes, it’s probably the fuel filter is clogged. If no gas, it’s probably the pump itself.

jetas likes this.
  6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Forgot about the oil pressure sender!

7. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

I have changed the fuel filter a while back I did not like the one that was on there previously it was dirty and yellow I could never tell if there was fuel in there or not.
    [​IMG]
    This is what it looks like now, it never filled up with gas as the old one did it always just had a little bit of gas in it at the bottom corner. But now its empty.

I saw 2 of those green plastic connectors both had a black with a yellow strip wire coming to them so I disconnected them both and turn the engine over.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And got nothing, can not hear the pump running Disconnected the gas line before the filter and got no gas coming out when i turn the engine over.

8. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

Did you end up replacing the fuel pump? I'm thinking about just replacing mine even though it was working when I last drove the truck (5+ years ago). Just to be safe because I know how much of a pain this will be if it fails on the road.