Fuel Cell Install... Help!

Discussion in '1984-1988 Pickup Discussion' started by James Wilshire, Oct 27, 2020.

1. James Wilshire

James Wilshire Newbie

Truck:
    89 Pickup
    Fuel Wiring.jpg Sorry if this is a sloppy write up/question it is my first time posting here. But anyway, I inherited my pop's '89 pickup, it is the 2.4 liter 22re automatic model. It has been sitting for around 8 or so years, but has been in the garage so I guess that's the good part of this. I was looking to replace the fuel tank (Well the entire fuel system that is) with an in-bed fuel cell and a 68gph 43psi in line pump (From what I understand that is what they need. Please correct me if I am wrong.). So I bought a fuel cell and pulled the old tank out along with the old sending unit. While I was pulling it I noticed the old electrical connectors that I didn't even think of before. I know one has to be for the sending unit but what is the other one? Also my fuel cell has a sending unit 0-90 ohm but it is not the same connector, so do I wire the new sending unit to the old one someway or what? Oh and the picture is from a you tube video I forgot to grab one while my bed was off. Red Is what I don't know yellow is I believe the sending unit.
    Thanks for the help!

[​IMG]

2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    The one circled in red is the fuel level sending unit, the yellow is the pump.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I dont think the fuel cell sending unit has the same ohm range as the OEM one does

4. redman

redman Enthusiast

What jetas said ^. I think the 0-90 ohm is a GM sending unit. I have a cell in mine that I wired to the stock Toyota gauge and I know it's backwards . Toyotas run something like 3-115 ohm (that's not exact) and they're backwards from the GM, meaning low ohms in one reads empty and low ohms in the other reads full. Sorry can't remember which is which. I'm still working on mine so I've never filled it full but I believe it's going to work just backwards (when my cell is full my gauge will read empty). I have a 93.

James Wilshire likes this.
  5. James Wilshire

James Wilshire Newbie

Truck:
    89 Pickup
    Thanks for the responses. I’ll make a video when I get it hooked up. I bought an MSD 2225 fuel pump which hopefully will work fine.

6. James Wilshire

James Wilshire Newbie

Truck:
    89 Pickup
    Do you just have yours spliced into the old wire?

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    If the holes spacing is similar on the OE sender and the fuel cell sender and the OE sender can move inside it freely you may be able to drop it into the fuel cell with minor modifications

8. redman

redman Enthusiast

Yes, I have it spliced to old wiring.