front end binding?!?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by dwnshfter, May 28, 2010.

1. dwnshfter

dwnshfter Member

Well... I got the drop spindles on tonight, and flipped my ball joints. Went for a ride around the block and made it 20 feet from the driveway before trouble. The wheel started turning on it's own and it pulled HARD. After looking everything over and deciding that I was just over-reacting I went for a drive again. About a black away it started making a screeching noise so I decided to turn around. I had to make a 2340234094 point turn! I could only turn the wheel a little bit before it started making a weird binding noise, like the wheel wasn't bolted on all the way and loose, but no... it wasn't lol. Any help guys?

2. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    90 single cab bagged and bodied
    maybe your tires are rubbing ur inner fenders? how slammed are you? alot? maybe you didnt do the bj flip correctly?..take pics and post it and we can go from there

3. dwnshfter

dwnshfter Member

No, not touching the inner fenders, and the BJ flip was easy, just pull off and put back on an inch above where it was before. T-bars have not been touched so I'm not that low :(

4. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    90 single cab bagged and bodied
    hmmmm....check your steering. or your center link..maybe one of the joints is stuck and broken. its a famous part that breaks on our toys. its about 100 bucks or so at checkers or napa and stufff. try take a l;oook and take pictures for us if possible/

5. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    is this the first drop process? meaning was it stock before doing the spindles and ball joint?

if so your alignment is gonna be horribly off. when installing aftermarket drop spindles, they move the steering knuckle out and up more since the spindle snout goes in a different location in order to manage the drop. this will cause your steering to "toe out". thus, when you tried to go down the street, your tires are trying to pry themselves appart turning away from eachother.

pull your truck in straight as possible and do a quickie driveway alighnment.

-first, lift the truck off the ground.

-make sure the steering wheel is centered and lock it in place.

-measure from the center point in the drivers side tire closest to the front of the truck, to the same center point on the tire from the passenger side. then, take a measurement from the back side of the tire (facing towards the door) and measure the same center points. subtract the difference and divide that distance by half. this will give you how far in you will have to toe in your steering.

-loosen the adjustment clamps on your tie rod ends on both sides and you should be able to turn the tie rod to bring the front of the tire in (towards the frame) do this and eyeball ittill its close to straight.

-do the same for the passenger side and re measure those points i mentioned. this will get you close enough to where you can drive it to an alighnment shop and have it realigned. :waytogo:

6. dwnshfter

dwnshfter Member

This sounds like the problem more than anything, I will do the alignment and then take it in for my alignment at the shop (I gots the lifetime)

7. dwnshfter

dwnshfter Member

Got it aligned, and all is good now :) the toe out was HORRIBLE on the Pass. side, a little time and I had it good enough to make the trip to the repair shop to get it perfect :) Just have to take out the plastic inner fenders and I'm golden!

8. dwnshfter

dwnshfter Member

Had to flip the BJ's back, was too low for the LCA, the wheels where cutting into them BAD. That was the binding I was hearing ;)