Front Bumper Woes

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by MiniManic, Apr 24, 2022.

1. MiniManic

MiniManic Newbie

First post so take it easy on me, have been lurking for awhile. I tried a search but nothing came back.

I just picked up an 86 Pickup 2wd Base with the 4 speed. I’m having trouble figuring out the front bumper situation as everything I’ve ordered so far that’s “fits” per websites PN don’t fit. First I struck out with a pair of bumper ends as the truck came with only the front middle section without ends. Well those didn’t fit. They were to long and look liked they would rub.

then I ordered a 1 piece chrome bumper, thinking maybe the PO swapped on one from another model and that as well will not fit. The bumper brackets will bolt up to it but the actual bolt pattern is about 2” wider on the 1 piece vs the bumper currently on.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to try next. I love the one piece bumper so o would prefer to figure out how to use that one as it seems like with the correct brackets it would. Could someone please point me in the right direction please.
    upload_2022-4-24_17-18-16.jpeg

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  3. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Yea that bumper is definitely pushed in. I would start off with new brackets that match the bumper you are trying to attach and a new bumper. You do have the 3 piece one, so the plastic side molding you have might still work, you just have to correct the position of the bumper (Bring it back out).

4. MiniManic

MiniManic Newbie

Thanks for the replies. Once I pulled the bumper I could tell it had been in an accident at some point. I’d prefer to go with the 1 piece chrome if possible but it seems like the brackets are nearly impossible to come by as all I have seen are for the 3 piece.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Find a local body shop and have them order the parts for you. Or check rockauto

6. MiniManic

MiniManic Newbie

Rock Auto only has the mounts for the 3 piece bumper.

7. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Get some flat bar and make them

jetas likes this.
  8. MiniManic

MiniManic Newbie

If it comes to that I would just modify the current brackets for the 3 piece.

Erwin Merida likes this.