Fluid shooting out Engine Exhaust?

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Hilux and Stout Discussion' started by Ross McCredy, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Ross McCredy

Ross McCredy Newbie

Hi guys,

I recently got my truck back from the shop and noticed fluid on the ground after driving around a bit. It appears to be coming from this engine exhaust port? I'm not really sure what this line is actually... It seems like it was quite a lot of fluid, not sure what kind of fluid either... Any ideaS?

Attached Files:

2. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Looks clear, could be coolant or just the water associated with combustion. Consider, every gallon of fuel burned createes a gallon of water. Just a result of the chemical reaction of oxidizing hydrocarbon fuel. If the choke was water heated I would say look for a leak there, but the images show an electric choke.
    So, a few questions will arise from the "leak".
    Is there an exhaust leak? Cracked mani?
    How does the engine run? Rough?
    Any oil in the coolant?
    Any coolant in the oil?
    Last 2 are evident of a head gasket going out, a cracked block or head.
    Is there the same fluid coming out of the exhaust?
    What does the fluid feel like? Oil? Water? Coolant?
    What does the fluid smell like? Oil? Coolant? Exhaust?
    Stuff like that. Need more info bud.

3. Ross McCredy

Ross McCredy Newbie

Thanks for getting back to me. The fluid had a kind of an oily feel, but was pretty clear. Maybe feels like a thin oil? doesn't really have any odor, but did leave a little rainbow on the driveway with the rain today. Sorry if that's not much help. The engine runs good, takes a few cranks sometimes to start, but idles good, just had a new Weber 32/36 carb installed.

What is that port on the engine anyway? Hopefully not any head gasket issues...

4. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Maybe I misread the image, that fluid might be from the overflow. Is that tube under the clamp holding the resevoir in a position to make that damo mess?
    That port from the valve cover is the crank vent that went to the bottom of the air cleaner assembly, if I remember right.

5. Ross McCredy

Ross McCredy Newbie

Sorry for the long delay, but I'm back to this issue; the tube is leaving a pretty nice puddle wherever I park it. It does seem to just be oily water, so hopefully it's not a big deal, but is there any solution to getting rid of this excess liquid? I recently had a Weber carb installed which is great, but, as mentioned before, maybe this tube was going to the old air cleaner assembly? Any ideas would be great!

6. Ross McCredy

Ross McCredy Newbie

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    This a 18R? Can you post pics? The link you posted doesnt lead anywhere. The hose you have circled looks like its coming from the valve cover, more than likely the PCV and its literally just the crankcase pressure coming out the hose. In which case yes it will more than likely be oily because oil. Route it back into the intake somewhere

8. Ross McCredy

Ross McCredy Newbie

Yes, it's a 18rc. Is this an issue, or something common; I never really noticed it until I got the Weber Carb.Any suggestion where to re-route it, I'm pretty new to all this; luckily these trucks are pretty straight forward. Thanks for the help! IMG_4709.jpg IMG_4708.jpg IMG_4560.jpg

Erwin Merida likes this.
  9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Theres a hole on the underside of the air filter. Should be going there. The carb kit comes with a plastic fitting that goes there and you hook the hose to that.

You could also just put a breather filter on there.

Is your PCV working properly?

10. Ross McCredy

Ross McCredy Newbie

Thanks for the info! Any suggestions on a breather filter that would fit? That may be the easiest.

Where would the PCV valve be located...?

Thanks again

11. Ross McCredy

Ross McCredy Newbie

Here is a better photo IMG_4711.jpg

12. Ross McCredy

Ross McCredy Newbie

There is a hole on the underside of the air filter(circled), is this where I should hook up the vent tube? Won't all that liquid goin in there effect the carb? Sorry for all the noobie questions, just trying to work on this little by little. It gets a lot of looks cruising through town!

IMG_4711.jpg

13. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    It’s not your pvc valve. You can plug it into the nipple of the air cleaner but like you said it’s just going to be pumping oil vapor back into the intake.
    It looks like whoever rigged this up used an old inline fuel filter as a oil trap/vapor catch can.
    Find an old soda can, hang it off the inner fender and push the hose inside of it. It will catch the oil. Check it occasionally and dump when necessary.

Your PCV valve is the rear most hose. Everything looks to be new. Many times the old engines just create excess oil from blowback. Mine does the same thing. I installed a road draught tube on mine. It ends near the transmission support bracket. Kind of like a poor mans undercoating. (Oily metal tends not to rust).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    Ross McCredy likes this.
  14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Take the hose off that port on the VC and measure the OD. Go to summit racing or amazon or whatever and search for a breather there.

or just install a catch can on that tube.

Ross McCredy likes this.
  15. Ross McCredy

Ross McCredy Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions! I was looking for an elegant solution to the problem, but there isn't much that's "elegant" about these trucks! As long as the excess oil/water isn't a sign of a serious issue, the catch can seems like it should do just fine!

Thanks again!

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Try Freds idea with the soda can before you spend the $ on a catch can. If its not a lot of crap accumulating then i'll guess putting it straight to the carb wont hurt. OR you could just get a T fitting and thread it where the PCV hose goes into the intake and gook both hoses up there

In the meantime cover up that hole on the underside of the filter so it doesnt suck up a bunch of dirt.

17. Ross McCredy

Ross McCredy Newbie

Another quick question; if I got a catch can, could I put that current vent tube to the intake, and hook up the output to the hole at the bottom of the air cleaner? Would this allow the catch can to get most of the oil so the air cleaner wouldn't have to get as much crap in it? Would I need to add a PCV valve anywhere?

Erwin Merida likes this.