fender rolling.

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by bully, Dec 22, 2022.

1. bully

bully Newbie

Truck:
    99 2wd hilux s/c
    hi,
    has some rolled there rear fenders, just the lip.
    I have 275 on the rear. I have the tool to roll the rear fenders on my 99.
    however there is a brace on the inside, which means I would have to roll that up with the lip.
    this seems like a big ask and to keep the paint in good condition.
    it almost seems cutting the lip would be better, a cleaner job.
    what have others done? Screenshot_20210608-181301_Gmail.jpg

2. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

I’ve done both, if the fender is double-thickness (some cars) it’s easier to cut, but your truck should be single, so it would be easier to roll. The brace would need to be lengthened I would guess, never seen one so I can’t say.
    For a tacoma you probably want to try www.tacomaforum.com, or www.customtacos.com

3. bully

bully Newbie

Truck:
    99 2wd hilux s/c
    thanks.
    the brace is big like mostly the same length as the lip I want to roll.
    it's at the top, over the width of the tyre. it must brace the gaurd so I'd like to keep it.
    at this point I'm thinking cut rather than roll.
    I think I might just fit 285 tyres once it's done.
    it's a hilux but I will look at the other forums as well. thanks.

4. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

Np, if the brace runs the length, then you’re better off cutting, make sure to use a thin zip-disc and try your best to keep the heat down so you don’t blister the paint. I would make a cut in the middle of one side around 12 o’clock, then do another at 1, 11, 10, 2, then stop and do the same on the other side, basically a bunch of perforations, until fully through. When I do it I also keep a few small towels nearby in cold water and cool the lip if I think it’s getting too hot, which should keep it cool enough to save the paint.
    Your truck looks cool, I love the tailgate and box edge. And yes you do have a Hilux, but we don’t have them past 1995, ours were “pickup”, followed by “Tacoma”. Best of luck with it.

5. bully

bully Newbie

Truck:
    99 2wd hilux s/c
    oh I see.
    iv been trying to figure out the names and differences. so mine would probably be close to a 99 tacoma.
    that will make it easier to buy parts from the u.s.
    I had a brief look last night and did some reading. people were saying just cut a little and leave the spot welds. but my welds are close to the edge.
    I'm sure the brace will hold it. I need to get wheels off and have a good look under there. but its xmas and I want to drive it, send smoke signals to Santa Claus.

Ponyryd likes this.
  6. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

It’s a Tacoma with some minor changes I’d say. The tailgate is a drastic change, and I don’t recall ever seeing the upper box crease you have, other than that I’d bet it’s all Tacoma.
    If you know anyone at a body shop they will have a product called “panel bond”, it’s basically a liquid weld, and it works great. You could use some of that to secure your brace after cutting, or even some windshield urethane would work to keep some structure there.

7. bully

bully Newbie

Truck:
    99 2wd hilux s/c
    oh thanks.
    that fills in a few gaps for me.
    I looked on the calvert racing website and I think they have tacoma. but I wasn't sure if they were the same, I kind if hoped they would know. they just said do a custom order.
    and I have already brought parts and material to build my own. otherwise I would have brought them.
    I never knew of the panel bond thanks.

Ponyryd likes this.