Droppin' in a 350...

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by RandomHumanBein, Dec 16, 2009.

1. RandomHumanBein

RandomHumanBein Member

Truck:
    '88 Base model
    well guys, my thirst for power has overcome my 22R's ability to create it. I missed out on a fantastic built 22r, and now realized that my dollar per hp is much better spent on the most readily available motor. So i'm doin it... be on the lookout. I still have a few more paychecks to save up.

Any tips/ideas/encouragement are much appreciated!

2. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    7mgte or even a 7mge

3. JDSnake

JDSnake Veteran

Truck:
    79 longbed
    Good luck and in wierd vioce " You can do it "

4. silver_surfer

silver_surfer Newbie

encouragement? there you go:)

1jzgte supra TWINTURBO powered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

boosted is the way to go:clapping:

5. RandomHumanBein

RandomHumanBein Member

Truck:
    '88 Base model
    ah.. as much as i like turbos, i dont have the money for all of that technology. not to mention the fact that those motors are hard to come by in my neck of the woods. 350's are a dime a dozen around here, and throw a cam and pair of headers on there and i'm easily puttin out 350+ hp. nothin beats cubic inches.

6. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    the only drawback i see to this is yea it'll create power fr cheap but its not gonna do you any good if you cant hook it up....... not to mention the added weight its gona impose on the front of the truck...... you'll seriously have to either create an adjustable ballast weight to counter some of that nose end weight or yer lookin to just have a tire roaster that wont hook and go when the time calls for it....

7. AllenB

AllenB Member

Truck:
    2003 Srunner taco and 90 v8 yoda
    Here's my 90 bought it with the v8 conversion

Attached Files:

8. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    sweet motor!

are your tires mounted backwards?

9. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i know that the conversion is more pricey then the chevy swap, but there is also the 1uz-fe. it's nice and light too.

10. silver_surfer

silver_surfer Newbie

what do you mean backwards?:confused:

11. RandomHumanBein

RandomHumanBein Member

Truck:
    '88 Base model
    how does it run man? do you have a limited slip in there? auto or manual? from what you can tell, were there any major mods made to make it fit, distributor and all?

sorry for the thousand questions, im just doing some research haha

12. taa84

taa84 Member

Truck:
    87 yota
    im putting a 302 in mine in the next month or two what kind of radiator did u put in there the one i have is too big

13. 20twinz

20twinz Newbie

Truck:
    85 xcab.....lifted
    I just did the 350 in mine..(4x4) and it fits front to back side to side with no firewall mangling needed. You will need block hugger headers for sure, elec fans, and bought or make custom motor mounts. I mounted mine solid and plated the frame with 3/16" plate steel, 6-8"s on both side of the mounts. For the mounts...well, I used 2x4 1/4 wall and welded it right to the plate that was welded to the frame. The 2x4 fits in perfect using motor mount brackets for a 78 Chevy pickup. (the mount that actually bolts to the block) For a radiator Im running one out of a 1982 Dodge Ram250 2wd that had a 318 in it. The in/outs are on the same side as the Chevys intake and water pumps are set up. I did have to trim a little bit of the radiator suport but it sits in there with about 1/2" of clearance of the water pump pullys bults/nuts. The HEI distributor is around 1/2-1" away from the fire wall yet so I have room to get plug wires on off right along with the cap itself if need be.

Hope some of this info helps you come up with ideas on how to go about doing yours. Mines an 85 4x4 so im not sure if there is much difereances between your engin bay and mine. It was also a 22RE set up before.

Good luck and keep us posted.

14. AllenB

AllenB Member

Truck:
    2003 Srunner taco and 90 v8 yoda
    I think the radiator is a Griffin not sure, it has a 700R4 w shift kit, still running the stock rearend works fine, it has a points distributer to clear the fire wall but I would like to change it over to electronic.The man that built this truck is from Athens Alabama he has a fabrication speed shop there.He saw the truck on Mautofied and e mailed me a couple times. The truck runs and drives good, you can tell theres extra weight in the front but it doesn't affect the way it handles. Hope this helps, here are some more pics of the engine :waytogo:

Attached Files:

15. yogo

yogo Member

so what does hav more power vs the 350 the 7mgte or the 1uzfe? but that 2jz looks friggn sweet man!

16. RandomHumanBein

RandomHumanBein Member

Truck:
    '88 Base model
    awesome, thanks for the input guys! i just picked up a motor w/ engine stand today for 160 bucks. im not sure if imma use the block because it had water in it and a spun bearing, but the hot heads (easily put the big valves in) HEI dizzy and holly contender intake were well worth it. I could use the bottom end, but prolly gonna have to get everything reground n oversized bearings. imma just keep my eye out and see what i find. hey 20twinz, do you have any pics of your setup? and Allen, what kinda get-up-and-go does your truck have with that stock rear end? i imagine its a big time right rear tire burner or is there a locker in there?

17. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    off the top of my head the 7mgte had around 230ish stock.

the early 1uz has 256hp stock, and power only went up throughout the years. up to around 300hp by the late 90's.

the 350 depends on what year it came from. 60's models have more hp than say late 70's. but you can easily get hp out of any year for cheap.

after stuffing a 2jz into my 86, and working on a 1uz into my 73, i must say a small block would be sooooo much easier.

the 2jz is so long you have to mod stuff to fit. and even though the 1uz is only a 4.0 liter, the quad cams make it way wider than a small block chevy/ford.

it's really all about what you want in the long run though. they are all a pain to install, but the payoff is great.

18. 20twinz

20twinz Newbie

Truck:
    85 xcab.....lifted
    I'll take a couple pics tomorow and post them here for ya.

19. 20twinz

20twinz Newbie

Truck:
    85 xcab.....lifted
    SORRY FOR THE SIZE:shrug:

Here are some pics for you that I took today.
    Now lets not judge people....I know the chrome is crazy on this mud truck but I use what I have laying around. lol. I actually just finished up putting the radiator and hoses on today....

You can see where vaccume lines, heater hoses, and such all run from these 2 pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Water pump pully bolts/studs...Had to cut off what little was sticking past the nuts for clearance...have about an inch or so.
    [​IMG]

Pic form drivers side, bottem of motor, threw wheel well. About 1 and 1/4" from the fire wall. HEI. Notice no denting required.
    [​IMG]
    Pic #2 from pass side top...
    [​IMG]

here you can see how much room the block hugger headers give, the solid 2x4 motor mounts, and plated inside of frame....
    [​IMG]

here you cans ee the start of a great grille stich job....o wait, I mean the radiator.... THIS CLEARS PEOPLE! haha. Belive it or not, I cut a little of the under hood support and the radiator clears with about 1/2" everywhere when the hood is shut.
    [​IMG]
    Even notched the radiator support just a tad bit to bring it away from the waterpump pully. 1982 Dodge Ram250 radiator...Fits.
    [​IMG]

Hope these are of some help to you and dont be afraid to ask any more Q's... Im always open for suggestions as well. :)

20. RandomHumanBein

RandomHumanBein Member

Truck:
    '88 Base model
    well guys, the plan has changed... the v8 is no longer going in my truck, but my old '83 Volvo 242 (2 door)

as much fun as it would be in this truck, its gonna be funner in that car. won't have near as much tire-hooking-up issues. and not to mention the car is sitting there, with a brand new chassis all around, and no engine, just begging for +300 hp. ill still be around, but the truck isn't gettin any upgrades right now