Drilled and slotted rotors?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by LilRed93, Mar 30, 2014.

1. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
  2. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    just based on the specs (marketing) they'd be better than some competitors, but unless you're doing autocross or any other brake-heavy activity, they may be more for looks and mountain driving. I'd still get 'em. The pads will (to a degree) make more of a difference.

3. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    http://wilwood.com/m/techtip/TechFaqAnswer.aspx?id=8&no=2

"Q: What's the difference between slotted and drilled/slotted rotors? Which rotor will be best for my application?

A: PSlots or grooves in rotor faces are partly a carryover from the days of asbestos pads. Asbestos and other organic pads were prone to “glazing” and the slots tended to help “scrape or de-glaze” them. Also, cross-drilling and/or slotting the rotor for racing purposes was beneficial by providing a way to expel the gasses created when the bonding agents employed to manufacture the pads began to break down at extreme temperatures. This condition is often referred to as “outgassing.” When it does occur, the driver still has a good firm brake pedal, but a significant reduction in friction. Normally this only happens at temperatures witnessed in racing. However, with today’s race pad technology, “outgassing” is no longer a concern with pads designed for racing.

So in the final analysis, drilling and slotting rotors has become popular in street applications for their pure aesthetic value. Wilwood provides rotors slotted, drilled or plain. For most performance applications, slotted is the preferred choice. With certain pad material, slotting can help wipe away debris from between the pad and rotor as well as increasing the coefficient of friction between the rotor and the pad. A drilled rotor provides the same type of benefit, but is more susceptible to cracking under severe usage; however, for street and occasional light duty track use, they will work fine. For more severe applications, we recommend slotted rotors."

4. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    You will not see any performance increases from the drilled and slotted rotors. I've run both with my big brake setup.

The down sides to any drilled rotor are two fold. First, the potential for cracking to originate from those holes. If you've never seen the damage caused by a failed rotor, you'd be impressed. Secondly, while it can be said that drilled rotors cool better, it's because (mainly) of the lower mass of the rotor. Cross drilling removes material. In turn, if it can cool faster, it can heat up faster.

That being said, drilling does reduce unsprung weight. Will you notice it? Probably not. If you want it for looks, great! Buy them. But don't expect miracle braking.

5. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    That's some good info Litneon. Thanks for the response. I was just curious just for the fact that they are only a couple of bucks more than stock rotors that AutoZone sells. I need new ones anyways so I'll probably get'em and try them out. More or less they will just look cool.

6. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    They do look cool.

7. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    Drilled for auto cross wet weather and faster bite in ps a drilled vain rotors do not cool faster then blanke vained rotor since the aire pump that cools the rotor has a bunch of holes in the cooling vains

slotted is used for full racing pads to drive up pad temp and glaze cutting there udder **** for gassing control

8. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    Hmmmm maybe I'll just have to start auto crossing. :looney:

9. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    If you really want good grip, use a blow torch to heat up your rotors and then plunge them into ice water. This will make them warp, making the brakes bite extra hard whenever the warpped section gets to the brake pads. You'll even feel the power as the whole truck shudders as it grinds to a stop. :p

10. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    Now that would be funny **** if I had truck I didn't care about.

11. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    Well got them ordered so I think by Friday Ill have some pics for you guys.

12. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I've been running drilled/slotted rotors front & rear for more than a few years now & yes they look very good,but they also work very well also! I drive to a lot of shows through the summer months!!Have never had any problems with them!!
    Now these are a bit larger than the stock fronts & the rears were drums!!:cool:

13. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Mine tend to whirr/whistle when i hit the brakes

14. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    R1Concepts.com is a good place to get them too. I got a set for a VW Routan we used to have that was having issues with the rotors warping, we were having to turn or replace them about every 12,000-18,000 miles(they were undersized for the van). Got some cross drilled and slotted ones from the site I mentioned and didn't have to have them fixed again before we got rid of it(probably another 25,000 miles)

15. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i have the ebay drilled and slotted rotors for supra since thats what i put on my hilux. they look really good and stop awesome since it's 4 wheel disk. they came with pads too for i think $150 shipped.

i have a few friends that put the ebay ones on their cars too and the only complaint any of us really have is squeaky brakes during the first couple hundred miles. i'm sure it has more to do with the pads though. i can only imagine that the "performance" pads they came with aren't that great since i'm use to paying $80 for decent pads at the auto store.

16. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    Alright folks. After a nice morning of chillin with my dogs and putting my new rotors on, here they finally are. To me after taking a couple hour drive it is like night and day difference with these, I can now stop on a dime. :waytogo:
    20140404_110929.jpg

20140404_134655.jpg

20140404_134635.jpg

17. kingtacoma951

kingtacoma951 Addict

Truck:
    88 SR5 Xtra Cab
    I'm thinking of getting these too....they look good and good price too

18. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    meh it's a show rotor sorry but thats what i think if ya ran a set of good blanks with good pads a fluid it will perform better

but it will bit better in the wet for first bite.

drilled or blank for street based racing

I have a hard on for porterfield brake pads and shoes

19. Coldmonster

Coldmonster Member

I have a set of ebay pads/drilled slotted rotors and they stop great. A lot better than factory but they are in my f150 so it has quite a bit of weight behind it. I'm considering getting some for my toyota when the time comes.

20. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Drilled and slotted rotors always look cool. Just don't think it will help stopping power much.

I've got d&s on my Benz, and they whirrrrr when aggressively stopping. Doesn't bother me, but these eBay rotors aren't lasting very long. (No chance of lasting more than 1 pad life)

Otoh the ls400 brakes on the front of my 82 haven't worn ANY in like 30k miles