Control arms vs. Spindles

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by 93Yoter, Jan 18, 2007.

1. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    Just like the title says what are the advantages/disadvantages of using control arms or spindles to lower a 93 toyota pickup 2". Mainly which one is better? Also I know spindles allow factory alignment but do contol arms?

2. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis Addict

Truck:
    1980 Toyota
    Spindles. Easier to install.

Also, ever plan on bagging the truck? If so, you'll have to swith back to stock arms and run drop spindles anyways.

3. Synyster

Synyster Enthusiast

Truck:
    08 xB and 97 Tacoma std cab
    couldn't have said it any better.

4. CarbonRevo

CarbonRevo Member

I don't know about the whole easier to install. My arms were VERY easy to install. The hardest thing is just undoing the torsions.

Spindles- Rotors, calipers, pads, wheel bearings, upper and lower ball joints must come out, steering linkages, maybe more.

Arms- Dissconnect torsions, shocks, stabilizing bars, lower ball joint (only unbolt), bump stops, torsion receiver, and the arm bolt and it literally falls off the truck.

I'd do arms 10 times before I did spindles once. You'll need an alignment after both. Don't dick around, wait about 2 weeks for settlement, then get it DONE. I waited 2 months and it wore the **** out of 1 tire. I have a 4.3" front drop with only 1.3" torsion adjust, on spindles it'd be more then the spindle itself and ride quality would suck ass.

I'm happy with my arms and blocks, and would spend the 240 shipped again. Took roughly 4 hours to do front and back of truck. I could whip out a block and arm install in 2 hours now.

If your ONLY wanting a 2" drop, then I'd have to say go with spindles. If you want more then 2", just get arms that way your not cranking down your t-bars to get more drop.

You can see the stance of my truck in the other thread with pictures...

5. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis Addict

Truck:
    1980 Toyota
    What the hell are you talking about? Have you even installled spindles? It takes like 2 hours tops with the right tools. All you do is remove the wheel, take off the caliper and let it hang, undo the spindle nut and THE ENTIRE HUB comes off as one piece. Then you break the tie rods and balljoints loose, you don't have to take ANY of those things out. Then you simply put the spindles in, and repeat those steps in reverse. Easy as ****. And lowered control arms are a retarded ass design anyways, you can never bag your **** with them. You could actually make your own drop arms in probably under an hour with a sawzall and a welder.

Shaan93 likes this.
  6. CarbonRevo

CarbonRevo Member

I have had my truck down to bare spindles on front, so all I MAY have been wrong about is funking with the ball joints. Taking off the caliper won't simply let the rotor slide off. You have to take the caliper mount off, cus last time I check the caliper mount isn't attached to the hub...then again, what do I know? Just because I haven't bagged a truck doesn't mean I don't know some ****.

Lowered control arms aren't a retarded design. I know for a fact the damn things are a hell of a lot stronger. Smacking a curb at 15 with the front wheel probably would have bent the stockers, but it didn't even throw my alignment off. Who cares if you can't bag with lowered arms? Maybe not EVERYONE wants to bag their truck.

Sawzall and a welder to stock arms. Yea, thats REAL safe. Most people aren't willing to chop the living hell out of a truck, because once you chop that frame, the floor, the bed...all it's ever good for is what it was cut up for, a lowered truck. I plan to take my truck back to stock height this summer so my dad can use the truck. JUST because this place is mini's, and the majority MAY be bagged...doesn't mean we all have to worry about bagging our truck.

Some people rely on their trucks as daily drivers, like myself...and bagging it would be a good way to make it not a daily driver. Sure, I could still drive it but it'd look like **** because we have a such thing as salt and snow up here in Kansas. If your gonna take the time to bag a truck in Kansas or more north, you'd better plan on a show only ride and have a good daily.

2 Hours tops just to do the front with spindles. I can do the whole damn truck in 2 hours, with arms. Not to mention the actual spindles on the new lowered ones are junk, so I've heard. Tolerances aren't as good as factory pieces.

I like how you think your superior to everyone else, only because your doing up such a nice truck, and how your selfish. You need to look around, laying frame isn't everyones goal. If it was mine, I would have saved the 250 bucks and bagged it from the get-go, but my truck's too nice to be cutting the living hell out of it. *rolls eyes*

7. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis Addict

Truck:
    1980 Toyota
    In no way do I think I'm better than anyone else, for any reasons. And how am I being selfish? I don't quite get it.

I simply pointed out the fact, that if he ever plans on bags, the arms are no tthe way to go because you will be taking them off again. I threw it out as an option. And all the arms are is a stepped up balljoint. Which like I said, could be done easily with the stock arms.

And I don't know about your truck, but the ones I have worked on, the caliper bolts directly to the spindle. So removing the caliper, does allow everything to slide off as one. I would know, I did it a few times last week pulling everything apart again to clean it up.

So now you got beef with me because I said I didn't like the idea of you ripping off my wheel idea?:confused:

8. SickYota 808

SickYota 808 Newbie

Truck:
    89 single-cab
    to me like what Twisted says if u plan on bagging it then go with spindles but if you just want to static drop it go with drop control arms... the drop control arms we did on my friends truck was pretty simple, the only thing junk was that if u wanna tuck rim it will rub, dunno if thats common with these arms.. the drop control arm gives u 3" drop plus lossening the torsion for more drop. also u will not be able to make fast u-turns!!

9. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    I want a 2/3 drop that is it. Nothing more nothing less. This truck is going to be more of a sport truck than a dragging mini. I don't plan on ever bagging it either since my local 1/4 mile track doesn't allow air suspension and I will be racing it when I'm done plus it seems to me that everyone these days is trying to get as low as possible which is cool if thats what your into but I don't like the way minis look slammed. Also cornering is important since I may eventually do auto cross with the truck if I swap in irs.

10. SickYota 808

SickYota 808 Newbie

Truck:
    89 single-cab
    if u just want a 2" drop just torsion it, it'll still ride like stock but if u don't want to mess with the torsion get the spindles, its ya truck so u make the choice.:cool:

11. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    :confused: some people tell me 2" on torsions and it'll ride like stock others tell me it'll ride like crap so I have no idea:p

12. CarbonRevo

CarbonRevo Member

Well, if you want a 2/3 drop, then arms aren't for you since you'd need 3/4 then. If 2 is all you want, go with the spindles then. You could do the torsions and just buy rear blocks for 30 bucks and be set. Whatever you decide on. I don'y notice a difference in 1.3", mainly because my truck is 1/2" from bumps (that are already cut) so any LITTLE bump is a huge bump. It's not as bad as when I was RIDING bumps. That was hell. Then when I cut the bumps, I had a fresh blade in the utility knife and got a nice deep cut that could probably fill a shot glass ever 4 seconds!

Twisted-

I feel your selfish because you want to be the only one with 330 wheels. Who cares? I'm OVER 1,500 miles from you, I don't show my truck so it's not that big of a deal. I was very dissappointed that you got all tied up because I was wanting some simple information on the wheels. If thats how you want to be about the wheels, don't let people ask where you got your header, what muffler, what compressor...yadda yadda yadda...

Luckily I have found a few machine shops in the area, and will be getting these wheels if one place can machine them. My money is just as good as your's! ;)

13. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis Addict

Truck:
    1980 Toyota
    If you crank the torsions to drop it 2 inches, it will not ride like stock. It won't ride like crap, but it won't be great. Since you're not bagging it, you can go either way. But it sounds like the arms are 3" drop.

Honestly, I don't care. I just tried to encourage you to be more creative and find something else rather than take someone elses idea. I know you'll do it wether I say its okay or not. Its not my decision to make and I have no power there. And I gave you the information you wanted. Do what you will, but don't call me out like that again.

14. skip

skip Enthusiast

Truck:
    1992 std cab, 1986 std cab
    dont be "that guy" CarbonRevo. like seth said be creative. there are so many wheels out there!

15. CarbonRevo

CarbonRevo Member

I know there are so many wheels out there. It's hard finding the right looking wheels with a red truck and no chrome. I won't put chrome pieces on my truck because it's gawdy with the red.

I was looking at some Bonspeed Ramones...but have you seen the price? Exactly!

I'm only going to have the truck until June/July as it is, so spending a thousand or so just for wheels would be a waste. I want something cheap for the time being. Good to know the Porsche guys can be more of help and are actually flattered when people like the products they use. O well.

16. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis Addict

Truck:
    1980 Toyota
    Damn dude, you get butt hurt easily.

I'm actually not that big a fan of chrome either. I think chrome wheels look good on most trucks though, and a chrome bumper. But too much chrome in the engine bay or interior is ugly to me.

Bonspeeds are badass, but like you said expensive. I'd also be afraid to run billets with the way the roads are out here. Too soft.

And going with Porsche wheels is being creative. Thats what I tried to push you towards. I didn't mean to piss you off and make you hate me and get all crazy about it.

17. CarbonRevo

CarbonRevo Member

No, no...I wasn't referring to using Porsche wheels. Hell, I thought bonspeeds were expensive!

I have just found that help from those guys is a lot easier to come by, then what I have noticed. I apologize for any lashing out, but being stubborn on some simple information kind of ticked me off. I can see where your coming from, but also see where I'm coming from.

Should have seen how pissed I was when I got my truck, and not 2 months later, a kid got one EXACTLY like mine at school, who was my friend. That burned my ass like none other. So I can understand your point of view.

Back to topic though, if so, start a non-sense thread in chit chat for chatting! :)

Sorry for the off topic 93 yoter. I'd say do a 2" torsion drop, and if you don't like it, re-set the torsions and go with spindles. That way you don't spend money if you don't have to.

18. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    Thats what I was thinking. Wait so chrome on red is gawdy lol. Well mines metallic maroon so it doesn't count. Carbon since you're getting rid of your truck (why????????????) don't buy wheels just put that money towards the porsche.

19. Synyster

Synyster Enthusiast

Truck:
    08 xB and 97 Tacoma std cab
    i just noticed you said you wanted to run it on the track. your best best is to run drop spindles. they will give you a stock ride and stock steering geometry.

20. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    Thanks synyster I didn't even thin about that lol some mechanical engineering student I am. I think spindles are definately the way I'm going to go with blocks in the rear till I swap in supra irs or a 4 link. What are the best shocks to run?