Christmas Gift to myself....

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by toy_boy, Dec 16, 2008.

1. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    I've always been a big fan of the Torq Thrust wheels. Saw them on a done-up 1957 Chevy Step-side a few years back at Hot August Nights in Reno, Nevada - and it was love at first site.

So, naturally when I got my 79' Yota those were the wheels I wanted, or something close in design. Well, they're not cheap and with so many other things that I felt were more important to update on the truck, I just couldn't see myself spending that kind of money on wheels anytime soon.

What was funny was lately I kept noticing these Mustangs with their oem stock "Bullitt" wheels, which are so similar to the Torq Thrust and admired them a lot.

It wasn't till (ShoNuff) posted a thread regarding his HiLux's new shoes (97' Mustang wheels) that I realized that maybe a used set of Mustang Bullitts could be a less expensive alternative! I had no idea that their wheels would bolt right up to our trucks.

Within days of reading his thread...I found a Craigslist deal on these 17x8 Bullitts I just couldn't pass up - 4 Bullitts for WAY less than the price of ONE Torq Thrust! *The guy was moving and the wheels were literally the last things left in the house.

My early Christmas gift to myself. :) I will wait till Xmas morning to mount them to the truck.

Special thanks to, ShoNuff!

[​IMG]

The night I brought them home...just HAD to see what they'd look like up against the truck. I'm thinking they need a bath.....in SATIN BLACK. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    m m m - now thats sexy, isnt it great giving your own presents . . .

3. Megaglow_Z

Megaglow_Z Addict

Truck:
    81 long-bed goodness
    Thats going to look AWESOME!
    Post pics the day of!!!!!!

4. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i was a bad kid and used to peek at my presents, so i think you should bolt one on, take a pic and post it. then take it off and pretend you never seen it.

5. stampy

stampy Member

[​IMG]

these type wheels do look pretty good on these trucks.

B.Y.E.'s truck before the new draglites. Sorry B.Y.E :eek:

6. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    B.Y.E! Hahahahah.......LOL.....I knew damn well I wasn't the only one in the world who thought these wheels would look great on our trucks - and actually acted on it. :) But I am glad you now have Draglites. :eek:

Anyhow....at my age, still getting peer pressured. Here ya go BURNZYA. Tried on two wheels for now.

Wow, at least now I know what mine will look like lowered! LOL. Please note, my truck is as stock as they come. The only significant upgrade so far is that bed cover, thorough cleaning, rear one-piece window, oh...and I painted the grill satin black. Eventually I will have the entire truck SATIN BLACK like the Lambo below - wheels and all! I'd like to try and do it myself with the Rustoleum / Roller method.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  7. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine
    Looks good man. You're going to need some smaller tires when you lower it though.

I know what you mean about how expensive the torque thrust's are lol
    [​IMG]

8. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    (Predracer - regarding tire size.) Yeah, I kinda figured. The wheels I bought came with BALD 235/55/17's - so it was just a test fit. According to my calculations with the online tools, to keep my RPM's as close as possible to stock I should run 235/45/17's or 225/50/17's. All really depends what route I go with the lowering, I guess.

But now I'm debating whether or not I want to drive around with the new wheels and tires without first lowering it.

Hmmmmm.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  9. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine
    Well you can lower it for 30 bucks so go for it. It looks good to me either way.

10. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    wheels look sic!

11. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    sorry dude i'm a bad man

12. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    de'javu! :D

Front tires: 215/45-17
    Rear tires: 235/45-17

3" drop blocks in the rear and cranked down torsion bars up front... Take some daytime pics bro!!

13. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Thanks B.Y.E. I will, I will. :) BURNZYA talked me into taking a gander at how the wheels would look so I just threw them on after work. The plan was to wait till xmas morning. I was curious, anyway. Up to that point I had never seen them on our trucks AND I wasn't even 100% sure they'd actually fit! Center bore and whatnot. Craigslist impulse buy. Guess I got lucky.

I didn't really like how it looked with the Bullitts without it being lowered. Plus I'm going to need new tires anyway - which are a lot more expensive than I thought! At least compared to 14's or 15's. But, you play - you pay. I'm happy though. 17's give the truck a whole new look.

I think I'll work on lowering the truck next, then fork out the greenbacks for the new tires. THEN....put the Bullitts back on.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  14. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    I'd buy the tires first... It will look fine without being dropped... Something about lower profile tires that bring out the rim!

15. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    the first time you go around a corner a lil fast with the new tires they'll seem cheap.

its amazing what modern tires n rims can do to old suspension.