Charge light

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by first80toyota, Mar 13, 2013.

1. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    In my 77 my charge light keeps coming on. It goes off sometimes but its been on a lot lately.. I know for a fact it is charging, and haven't found a short or anything unusual so far. :(:shrug:

Could it be that it's just not charging enough? It usually is 13.3-13.5 volts at idle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I have an '86 that has issues with the emissions control module.... when i jumped a power wire to my idle fuel cut solenoid the brake/charge light stayed on while driving, so i know they are in the same circuit.

The other day i was checking fuses and noticed the "charge" fuse (7.5 amp) under the hood was burnt out. I don't know where i was going with this post, since i didn't work on the truck after that, but maybe that could point you in some direction?

Check fuses and find some wiring diagrams to trace? Not sure if you have an emissions control module, but it could have a short?

3. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I dont know if I have a "charge" fuse or emissions control? I checked all the fuses I know of and they were all good. I also dont have a Idle cut solenoid anymore with my weber.

But could it be that its just not charging enough?

4. justaguy

justaguy Member

Truck:
    75 hilux, 84 xtra cab, 86 1 ton, 87 xtra cab 4x4
    Sounds like your alternator is getting weak. Should be charging at 14v. Battery could also be getting weak. I'd run down to your local parts store and have them tested. They usually do it free. Then at least you can positively eliminate them as the issue.

5. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    New alternator, regulator and battery. Did the same thing with the old alternator, regulator and battery also. Forgot to mention that..

6. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Anyone know I I have a charge light relay? I keep reading about it, and it sounds a lot like my problem but can't seem to locate it if I do have one.