Carpeting

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Ivey, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    Has anyone purchased the moulded carpet off rock auto? I'm curious if it's any good. $150 for their medium grade carpet with backing seems like a decent price.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I think someone here did just cant remember who.

Ivey likes this.
  3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I ordered molded carpet from some one years back, not sure who , it fit fine.

4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I think this is what the PO installed in my truck. I don't know which pile type or backing though sorry.

IMO it looks alright, but could always be better. Doubt there are many choices out there in this price range though. Seems to fit fine around everything like the trans hump and the raised seat mount crossmembers in the floor, my main complaint is that it doesn't extend up onto the firewall area enough for my taste, like it needs more inches of fabric to extend closer up toward the dash so you don't see metal and for sound deadening. I've thought of adding a strip of fabric above it to hide what's not covered. Also, the kit is only for the floor, not for the rear of cab - so if you've got bucket seats or want that extra sound deadening...

Here's a pic from my media gallery, you can kinda see where it cuts off on the firewall. Can take more/better pics if needed.
    [​IMG]

Ivey likes this.
  5. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    Cool Perkolator that is exactly the info I was looking for, pic isn't coming in though. I was hoping to install new carpet and install bucket seats at the same time so maybe that is not the way to go. Never had a custom interior installed but I'm guess 300-400? Maybe I can just cut some extra carpet for the rear of the cab...

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Its all going to depend where you go to be honest. I paid over 400 just to get my seats reupholstered

7. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    You can't see that pic? You can also go to my media gallery and view the pic from there.

You could easily just pickup some matching carpet and do that section yourself. No idea what an upholstery shop would charge to do the whole interior's carpet, but I'd guess $300 minimum just based on how many hours it might take.

I've thought about doing the back wall and what I'd do is install sound deadening sheeting (dynamat/other) first, then make a backer board template from upholstery board/masonite, adhere the carpet so it wraps around the edge cleanly, then install it with magnets or velcro to the back wall instead of making holes for fasteners.

Ivey likes this.
  8. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    Oh I found it in your gallery. I see what you are saying about the firewall. I feel like my current vinyl cuts off around there. Looks nice though, I probably will spring for it once I find a pair of seats that work.

9. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

I payed just a little under $250.00 for carpet, dynomat and sound foam/fabric for the full truck including the back and headliner. Also had enough dyno to put on the ceiling and the doors. I bought the carpet from an upholstery place and the sound fabric. For the floor I bought an aftermarket product like dynomat but cheaper and thicker it worked great cause I also used the foam/fabric to help with road noise. Hope this helps your install.

10. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    I bought the rock auto carpet (which is https://www.accmats.com/) and it fit onto the trans hump and seat mount bumps perfectly. It also had a lot of extra around the perimeter, allowing carpet WAY up the firewall (up into the clutch pedal fire wall bracket). That extra is nice, but it also needs to be carefully trimmed around the sides and back.

An early photo of mine before I trimmed it. You can see it goes far up the fire wall:
    [​IMG]

Ivey likes this.
  11. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    That looks great Dan! Right now I'm waiting for a dry spell so I can POR15 my floor pan and install carpet. Which version did you spring for?