Carb upgrade advice.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Jesseh, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Jesseh

Jesseh Newbie

Truck:
    73 hilux
    I’m looking at getting a 32/36 Weber with a cable choke For my 73 18rc. Found a kit on eBay for a 20/22r and I’m just wondering if it would work with some tuning or if getting a 18rc specific carb is the way to go. I ask because the 18rc carb is double the price.

Also I could get the cheap one and spend some money on jets to tune it correctly.

Opinions and advice welcomed.

2. Bottle

Bottle Member

I got the weber kit for the 18rc and it was like 300+. Bolt on and needed no tuning till i started performance mods

3. Jesseh

Jesseh Newbie

Truck:
    73 hilux
    Thanks! The extra $ might be worth the worry free install.

4. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I don't know much about the 18rc, but the weber carbs need an adapter plate.

18rc and 22r = same adapter plate?

I wouldn't want to pay for a part in a kit, that I couldn't use, but if buying a carb, adapter and jets was cheaper than the 18rc kit you're referring to...I would probably go that route, cus I'm cheap, lol.

Forgot about throttle linkage too...another difference between applications.

Research is key if you're trying to save money...or just pay more, so you don't have to :)

5. Bottle

Bottle Member

The kit im referring to has the carb, adapter, linkage, fuel line, and filter. All for the 18rc. If you look at my 18rc performance post i think i have a link to the one i purchased. If you want to hunt down the parts individually, thats up to you, but you may end up spending more or get a carb with the wrong linkage adapter

Jesseh likes this.
  6. Jesseh

Jesseh Newbie

Truck:
    73 hilux