bow type headliner

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Da_Roach, May 25, 2009.

1. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Anyone got any tips for droping down the headliner? I really want to get rid of the ulgy blue and make it match the rest of my interior.

2. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    im not gonna lie to you its really difficult, and putting it back in will be just as hard. Mines is an Ex cab so this is what im going off of.
    1. drop all pannels, seat belt bolts, rear view mirror, and even A pillar
    2. After you drop the pannels in the extra cab unbutton the tabs and slip that piece out of the metal holder
    3. Pull the rubber lining around the drivers and passanger door. The headliner is tucked into it and glued to the roof. Undo that. Your going to have to pop out the top of the rear window a bit too, cause the headliner is tucked into the rubber for that.
    4. Once you get all the edges undone, feel inside for the metal rods.
    They flex and that is the only way they will come out.
    5. Once you find them, pull them down. There should be 4 of them. They will be bow out and be bending into the cab. DONT BE AFRAID.
    Should look something like this in your truck. Sides hanging down, inside looks like this. \-----/ (rods bent downwards; U shaped)
    6. Start on one side and flex a rod into the cab. It should flex enough to be pulled out of its mounting hole. Once you do this it will be easier to understand. Do it to all 4 rods and drop one side. Now it will look like this. \___
    7. There are 4 screws on the front above the front windshield. undo all of those screws.
    8. Go to the opposite side and flex the metal rods and the headliner will drop down.

This is all assuming that you have that vinyl type/style headliner. I tried to figure it out on my own but couldnt, so i went to a stereo shop to get it done. Good luck to you. If you need more help, post up and ask, or just send me a PM, more then willing to help. Also if you need pics let me know. Im finishing up sound deadening my roof and my headliner should be going back in sometime this week i hope. Anywho good luck man.

3. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Great write up. I want to get mine out and wrapped in leather to match my seats. Thank you for the great detail. I will try to get to it this weekend.

4. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Shoots, hope it helped. let me know how it goes

5. beckleyota

beckleyota Member

Truck:
    93 pickup xcab
    has anyone just replaced the bow typ headliner by padding the roof then covering it with fabric.

will the heat just melt the glue and sag the headliner