blown piston rings...

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by V8_TITAN, Dec 6, 2008.

1. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    well, I over heated today on the interstate.. was crazy.. I always carefully watch my temp and pull over if it goes anywhere near 200....but today I was running about 170 180 and I pulled out from the toll both and I was getting on it pretty good, still watching the gauge and out of nowhere the fhker jumps to 220!! and then all I see is pooof smoke! so I was like shtshtshtsht damdamdam and then at my hood and there was oil all over my windsheild.. came out my hood scoop... so long story short it still runs fine,smokes alot and does not make any noises...

I picked up some turbo pistons from grounds cheap and theyre 50 over so im having the motor bored... anyone know a decent price of what it should cost ? what all would you replace in the motor ??? where can I get it the cheapest ? and how about forged rods ? cheapest price on those is where ?

thanksss alot...

2. Megaglow_Z

Megaglow_Z Addict

Truck:
    81 long-bed goodness
    Don't ya just love Toyota's :)

Anything else would have left you on the side of the road not running.

3. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    I dont know about that one now :eek: but im glad it made it home for me..

This trucks starting to piss me off, but then I think well hell its 20 years old it happens to all old cars...just cant wait till mom buys me something new next year with a/c, smooth ride, four doors, and other cool sh1t I dont have now

4. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    i hate to be a ass here but...

you did just buy a home made coors inspired turbo setup from a guy who had to install new rings n headgasket when you bought it...

i would make every effort now to lower compression up the fuel into the motor and fine tune it with somebody who knows what they are doing for a draw through turbo setup.

a stock 2xr dosent like more the 5lbs of boost for very long, with my SC setup i will have 100gph @ 3psi for it using a modified weber 32/36 to run 5-7lbs of boost. and thats on a reverse hybrid 2xr (22r head 20r block), im hoping for stock like reliabilty with a lil more uumph. even tho i could throw the same numbers down with a NA setup im running the SC for the coolness factor.

you may want to look into toning the boost down a bit to make a reliable motor, not just a motor that will run crazy boost for a few min.

5. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    well is been proven to be realiable at high boost, it just overheats.. Its got 2 10 inch walmart brand fans cooling it...with what looks like an original radiator I need to upgrade my cooling system asap then I think it will be pretty realiable

6. Megaglow_Z

Megaglow_Z Addict

Truck:
    81 long-bed goodness
    ShoNuff knows his stuff :)

7. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4

that is not proven reliable. that is proven that it works for a lil while then prolly melts a piston.

cooling wont do a dam thing if you are leaning out under boost or the compression temps get to high.

you CANNOT slap a big ass turbo on a 2xr and think it will be ok. the motor must be built for boost. these are fairly high compression motors to start with that make a ton of torque at low revs NA. they dont really have the time in the rpm range for "spooling" so a smaller turbo with less boost works better. do a bit of reasearch on the 22ret before you start throwing cash at the motor.

i really would like to not see another thread like this in a month or so.

and once again im not trying to bust your balls, but to help with what i know.

8. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    I dont know what exactly is in it but he said its built for that, I trust the guy knows his crap after seeing his 900hp corvette, and 600hp chevy s10 that he built

9. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    thats my point, you dont know whats in it.

id bet $5 its 100% stock inside.

call the guy tell him what happened and ask for recipts for parts he put in the eng.

at the min it should have:

low comp dished pistons
    bigger valves
    metal HG
    port n polish
    upgraded ignition

these engines were only ment to deal with 3-400 CFM the setup you have delivers easily twice that.

10. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    right-o ive seen the deep dish pistons, they are low comp like 8.5 to 1 ? its got a new cylinder head, I wanna think theres forged rods too and the ignition there is a msd blaster with thickkk azz wires and lc metal h gasket

i got a 500cfm carb so maybe not twice, but alot lol

11. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    that is still pretty high compression
    http://www.toyoland.com/engines.html

you could use mitsubishi startion pistons and get close to or under 7

12. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    I need to go that low ????
    well I know the pistons I have in here are stock toyotoa 22rte pistons.. so if they came 7.5 to 1 then thats what I have

13. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    maybe...

there are a lot of possible issues that could cause your issue. but the rule of thumb to fix your $hit is:

100% race eng

seriously. wanna run that much boost? build every thing remotely related to teh eng to handle it. or it just wont work right.

if you cant get proof from the PO about anything you assume its wrong, do some research and build the eng you need. or if that turns out not to be the prob, build your chassis for the heart it has. fuel/exhaust

14. Nook

Nook Addict

The stock rods and crankshaft are forged pieces already and plenty stout, upgrading to ARP rod bolts and main studs is a plus but not a must do, the head studs are a definate plus with any boost.
    As far as the overheating and why and what damage it did if any is hard to say, but a compression test or better yet a leakdown test should be done to see if anything shows up. It might be as simple as a bad turbo seal letting oil into the exhaust side.
    Oil all over under the hood could be several things, broken rings= blowby, under boost you have positive crankcase pressure and it does and will blow oil out the breather tube and pcv valve if so equipped, if those are connected and sucking into carb another source of smoke.
    A good cooling system, fuel system, and igntion system is a must with the boosted application, not just big azz wires, stock distributor, and a MSD coil. Reliability depends on what kind of boost numbers you run and how its driven, detonation and lugging a boosted engine is the worst thing and will make a short life of it, a red flag would have went up for me on purchasing an engine that they needed to replace pistons, rings or head gasket before I got it with a turbo on it, but each to their own on that. Best thing you can do is learn the engine and what it needs, get it dialed in, has the carb ever been touched? or bolted on out of the box, if so I can gaurantee its not set up for the turbo application, I run the same edelbrock 500 on my supercharger and it took a good amount of time to get the jetting, metering rods, lift springs all dialed in and working in harmony. best of luck.

15. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    "Now me and the mad scientist gotta rip apart the block and replace the piston rings you just fried"
    :D

Just playin' bro.... Pull the plugs and read them and then do a compression/leak down test. I'm willing to bet it leaned out up top just by looking at the stock fuel pump...

16. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    its got arp head studs, turbos good its deff blow by. what would you suggest running for the fuel system ? my carb has been tuned, I guess just jets ? but he did say the jets were the right ones. he had a huge box of them

I dont get any detonation, but what distributor would I need ? thanks...

and anyways im not regretting getting this engine at all, as I did not pay for it.. I traded something that I got for free for it so Im not in the hole any... I would still be having problems with my old pos 22r at least this ones fast :) lol

17. stampy

stampy Member

sorry for bringing an older post back up but i noticed your motor swap page V8_TITAN, just wondering wheres your bov or do you not have one. ive seen alot of draw through turbos on vw's and stuff but ive always wondered were the hell do they put the bov's. since the air is mixed with fuel you cant just let the pressure out into the engine bay like you could with a blow through or fi setup.

18. Sound.Vision.Soul

Sound.Vision.Soul Toyotaholic

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    yo Titan sry to hear you grenaded your motor. Just a thought tho.. depending on how much a fresh rebuild costs, would it be possible to swap in a 22rte? Im not sure how much they cost down in Flordia. But if you do that you get a EFI turbo motor. Stock, so it can handle the boost. Drive it for awhile then slowly build it up over time. Plus you can mount your BOV! :D

Just my 2 cents.

19. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    I dunno... I just bought my bov yesterday... dunno where the hell to put it though ????

end up it was more then rings, the whole set of pistons were cracked... but I got new pistons coming in, a new lower compression head... and she should be running this weekend for sure ! I dont wanna get a stock 22rte... this is a ton more fun! If I cant figure this set up out, me and B.Y.E. have already talked about swapping setups and if that doesnt work, I will go either stock, 7mgte or chevy 350...or even a 5.0 mustang engine

20. Sound.Vision.Soul

Sound.Vision.Soul Toyotaholic

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    Keep it Toyota bro! But a 302 mustang engine were very strong engines. Lots of power potential both ways. Guess it really wether you want instant get up and go power.... and let people think there gonna win while your turbo spools! Then blast past them with a divorced downpipe screaming! Sry i love Turbo's and all the sweet sounds they make!