Biggest/craziest motor swaps you've seen?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by standardbyker88, Nov 13, 2013.

1. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    So I am going to be getting another 2nd gen truck soon, a 74. It's my cousins. It's already been swapped to 20r, pass side gas tank, front disc, ect. Has lots of 76-78 parts already basically. Anyways, I have been debating my motor swap it is gonna get. I have had my fun with a fully built 20/22R combo, and its just nowhere near the power I want. I grew up deep into muscle cars, so a 4 banger doesn't cut it.

This leads me to thinking a out which motor setup would be ideal. I have built enough V8s to know a nice healthy street/strip motor ends up being 5k investment by the time you're done. It can be done for less, but only if you find the right deals. I've done plenty for under $1500.

So my initial thought was to build a dodge 318. I'm a dodge guy first and foremost. They are plentiful, strong, and can hit 400 hp with some good flowing heads/exhaust/cam combo. It can be adapted to the Toyota 5 speed, either with the W or R series trans; depending which bellhousing you use. Either is sourced from a V6 3.9l or V8 5.2/5.9 dodge Dakota from 87-2000ish. Details on that later.

Then me and my dad got to talking again. We have both wanted to do up a modern dodge V10. They came in iron form in full size trucks from 94-01. The viper ran a similar based motor in alloy form from 92-now. At first we thought, get a truck motor, swap the cam an intake and port the heads. Found out there isn't much aftermarket support for those motors, except for the carryover parts from the 5.9 V8 it was based; such as pistons, rocker arms, conn rods, ect. So we started researching what makes the viper motor and truck motor powerband and output vary by 115-150 hp thru the years. Realized the majority is inside the intake design. Viper used a cross flow like the 22re and the truck had a stupid 180* bend like the 3.0 V6 yotas. Bad flow. I also found out the cam was much bigger as was the rocker ratio. The later hp bump the viper got was mostly from going to tube headers from cast manifolds. I also learned they share the same motor mount location and type as the normal small block dodge.

I started looking for whole engine/trans/ecu online for the viper and can find them under $5k for the early motors, which have some pros vs the newer type.

So I guess what I'm getting at, is what are the most unique or large ci motor swaps you've seen in yotas. I see lots of Chevy and ford small blocks, a few dodges. Few bb's, not many turbo motors that weren't 7m/2JZ style either. Keep me inspired to start the project.

Somebody tell me I'm crazy. Or help me build it. :D

And for those who wonder, why the hell do I want something so powerful? It's o race against our caged out 91 Dakota with a built 440 big block. :D

2. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    yer crazy. im in. lets build it! :evil:

3. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    a minor myth and one of those "holy grail" type stories but i once hear a long time ago, someone once stuffed (and i question honestly how) a v12 ferrari motor into a yota pickup. as i said, its a story i heard and only a myth but i could almost swear it was mentioned in either mini truck magazine back in the late 80's or early 90's...

now, this is just me but, with you talking this v10 business and what not... if i had the deep pockets and time to get into it.... i would totally go after this challenge!!

4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Well I'm basically going to be selling my 78 and using the bulk of the funds to build a new one. Same way I built most of this one, from my 92's sale.

I'm sort of debating weather to build a normal small block dodge or one of the v10s. They're the same width and height, but are a bit longer. Not that much in fact, only 4" more after all the front accessories are on. Plus, a motor with power closer to original holds up better long term. All id do to it would be some porting work, and bigger throttle bodies, maybe headers. Try to optimize what's there.

To get equal power, or close to that, the v8 would need alum heads and a giant cam (like 0.550"+) so I'm still working up a final idea. The 74 just sits at my cousins house. I've got spare front drop coils, and a 4 link setup.

I want to start my own shop by spring and I thought having a vehicle figurehead or mascot or whatever would help promote it. I've already helped build a few SEMA rides so I might even be able to get it in there. Sort of coincides with my move to cal.

I don't doubt a V12 could fit if you don't mind making a firewall. Which is really hyped up to be tougher than it is. Our 440 Dakota has the engine set back about a foot from normal. Makes some things harder to access but not too bad when you compare it to working on anything FWD or modern lol.

Plus, I gotta show all those silly 1UZs what's up :D

5. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Toyota sticks V12s in JDM limos. I'm not that crazy am I? Lol

6. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    well, the v12's are fairly short.. and if you keep in mind a in line six being fairly long, a v12 wouldnt be too far off..

my idea for a v12 swap though would involve a long bed though if you know what im gettin at... :evil:

7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Haha. Who needs a motor in the bed. Have it ride right between the seats like our 440 Dakota project.

And I saw a step side bed 76 hilux on car domain today. Has a Chevy small block. Looks like he used a 400 block and bored it to 408. Chevy guys are dumb, they tell people the final math after overview and confuse everybody what they actually have. I just say what it is and the overbore, like my .020 over 22r. I still consider it a 2.4l even tho its more.

And after more research, I'm still thinking small block dodge with an R15* trans. Cheaper to build and plentiful if/when it goes kaboom.

8. laynlo12

laynlo12 Member

sounds like a good idea, viper motors are popping up in the weirdest vehicles its awesome.. as for room be ok if no body drop was involved.. i was running an ls1 in my bodied 92 extra cab, but now getting built in cali a 427ci 7ltr..

9. CUCUY

CUCUY Enthusiast

Truck:
    '81 SR5 longbed
    here is my future plan, IF i can score this '76 i'm eyeing right now.

twin turbo V10 from an Audi......OR V10 TDI from an Audi.....

10. standardbyker88

Truck:
    So I'm not totally crazy then. Or we all are. :lol:

11. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    Just dreaming, I was thinking a Boss 429 powered little truck would be cool. Or more realistically, maybe a Coyote motor.

12. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
  13. schaff70

schaff70 Member

Truck:
    93 Xcab longbed
    How about a Northstar V8 powered 1st generation MR2.

The Northstar V8 Toyota MR2

Or maybe a Honda F20C (S2000) powered Hilux?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no details on the truck other that I saw it at Cars & Coffee around April.

14. standardbyker88

Truck:
    That's rad. He's rocking the wrong wiper though lol