Beyondspexj's 85 Build

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by beyondspexj, Feb 7, 2013.

1. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    Been here for a few months and never started a build thread (haha oops) so here goes. If anyone else isnt doing so already, you can follow me on instagram (@beyondspexj) as im always updating there with pics of the truck and whatever else is going on.

here we go, here is the 85 as i found it off craigslist. this was the first time it was up and i missed out on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then a month later it pops back up on Craigslist from the new owner. Hard starts, ebrake isnt 100%, and he thinks a valve is burned since it wont pass smog and has blow by.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Offer the guy $1000, he loads the oem steelies in the bed and off i drive to the wifes grandmothers house to scrape the windows clean.

[​IMG]

2. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    Got the truck home after spending 10 minutes getting it to start. noticed on the freeway it was a lil "off" so now its time to have a little fun. pull it into the garage and started getting to know the 22r.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bought new plugs, got rid of some rigged wiring and redid the timing via cam and distributor. everything was off by a decent amount. went to replace the plugs and damn, the Hulk must have put these mofo's in!

[​IMG]

snapped em all trying to get them out. first time ive ever had to use a breaker bar to get plugs out. each time i prayed that the threads didnt strip. and as you can see, besides them being fouled out, they were new.

then came the removal of the TRD 19s that originally came on the 2nd gen Scion xB's. found out there were large spacers up front and small ones in the rear, and i was ok with that. but what i wasnt ok with was the ****ty and cheap lug nuts that were used. or the fact that since it needed longer studs because of the spacers in the rear, they found some smaller diameter ones, made them thicker with aluminum foil and stuck them in..:duh::looney::eek:

[​IMG]

forgot to mention, the "wheel lock" also broke. so had to force a socket on all the lugs. no wonder it shook like a crackhead in Compton.

called it a night and shut it down.

[​IMG]

3. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Solid chelu.I bet the first thing you did that next morning was go out and look at the truck for a while.LOL.$1350 nice find that would be like $4500 out there.Standing by for more on this build.

4. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    now that it was running well i got it registered as a "classic hot rod" to bypass having to smog it. downside is I can only drive it 4000 miles a year. if i go over then ill need to smog. No biggie as im still runnin a high flow cat. :cool:

decided to have my father in-law tie down the secondaries on the factory carb and deleted all the emissions crap from the passenger fender area. didnt remove the egr yet as i rather wait until i snatch up a header and knock that out at one time. dont mind the red wires running across the fire wall, had to re-rig the radio until i got to the junk yard and pulled a new radio harness from a donor truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next project was to clean the cab and relube the damn seat rails.

[​IMG]

interior was horrid. spoiled milk was obviously under the rubber mat so it had to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after that i still wasnt satisfied with the bench seat and came across a guy parting out a DA Integra. So i grabbed those buckets and threw them in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then it was time for new wheels and a change in ride height

[​IMG]

15x8 with 20mm offset. still ran the spacers as the ball joints hit the inner lip. so i ended up with a -16mm offset in the front and +15mm offset in the rear. cranked the torsions and was awaiting for beefed 4 inch blocks to come in the mail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

finally they came in...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    gave the dude $1000 and took it home lol. yea ive seen some CLEAN trucks going for big money out there! If the wife ever wants to move back to Guam I am taking mine with me, gunna cost too much to start over lol!!

6. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    After runnin around like that for a while it was time for a few changes as i was finally putting together a plan i can stick to. (anyone who knows me would roll their eyes at that comment lol)

Purchased a weber 34 from a member here and ordered an adapter from summit racing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

removed the bedliner and cleaned the crap out from under it as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

few pics at one of the wifes aunts wedding reception

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    now that we have caught up from the past few months owning such a fun project we meet its current state.

went to a local truck yard to get some chrome goodies i found by luck! it was like christmas!

[​IMG]

$50 for door handles, grill with headlight buckets, and turn signals. couldnt beat that. would have gotten the one piece chrome bumper too but it was tweaked more then i wanted to work with. Same with the lower valance.

Local pic-a-part also had some minis and scored these from a mini that met its fate. entire yota was tripped but no one took these! Good for me because it cost me a whole $5 for em lol.

[​IMG]

brother inlaw wanted to try my wheels and at the same time i had found another set i wanted anyway so it was time to swap up. These are made by Western Wheel, 15x8.5 -19mm offset.

[​IMG]

got some new rubber, kumho 195/50/15 and mounted em up to the truck.

[​IMG]

did a quick polish, top is before and bottom is after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and as the truck sits now....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    so now im just waiting to order up a holley fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure gauge, and inline filter so i can dial down the fuel psi.

found a local selling 4.10 gears from a 4runner ifs for $50. Picking that up tomorrow night.

Ill confess, this wont be the quickest or fastest project that ive had ( currently also playing with my 02 lightning, built a honda crx, full suspenion for auto-x on a civic si hatch, dodge neon srt-4 with a big turbo and 400hp, 2 mustangs, first gen lightning and an awd talon ) but ill be damned if it isnt fun to cruise in it. and the fun has only begun!

9. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Looks cherry chelu.I like the look with those rims.What happend to the old bumper and valance?

10. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Lookin good man wish my junkyards around here had lots of Toyotas to lute from. nice build list love the blower sound of a aftermarket pull-lied lighting those trucks will roll

11. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    i almost forgot, ment to thank you above for the help you provided with helping me setup my carb!

The lightning loves to scream. its funny to see the looks of people when they suddenly hear that eaton whine lol.

12. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    they are bent up. and im going to chrome bumpers and possibly chrome or paint matched valance.

13. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    nice project!

14. jctoy29

jctoy29 Addict

Truck:
    1993 toyota standard cab short bed
    Sic truck. Looks like it came along way when you first bought em.

15. ghettoyde

ghettoyde Enthusiast

Looking good man. I like where this is heading. And I love the new wheels

16. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    Thank you fellas. Got a little ways to go. Once I get it down another inch or so and get the body worked out, ill start on the interior which I cannot wait to do.

17. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    How do they know if you have driven the truck for more than 4,000 miles?

18. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    They record the odometer when it gets registered.

19. WinksYota

WinksYota Enthusiast

Truck:
    1993 yoter single cab
    Pull out your cluster swap it with a junk yard unit then when inspection time comes swap back the OG cluster.... awesome lil truck!! I'd run a 60 series out back thou IMO can't wait to see new pics of the started stance

20. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    Haha that's exactly what I've said before about the cluster!

Once I make my mind up on the motor (swap or not, turbo or nitrous) ill change the rear tires to match the needs with going wider. Really don't want to go taller on the sidewall by too much just yet.