1. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Addict

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    New fuel rail is installed! It doesn't really show, as it is essentially a black rectangle under the plenum, but I like that about it.
    Resized_20220510_174352.jpeg

While doing the swap, I was able to check all of the electrical and vacuum connections, as well as fuel lines. Everything looked good. I started the engine, and let it idle in my driveway. Sure enough, when it got up to temperature, the AFR shot up. I wasn't tpuching the gas pedal, it was at constant idle, so I don't think that the AFM has a sticky barn door.

Running lean means that it is getting too much air, or not enough fuel, right? What would cause that to happen only once it is up to temp?

2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Addict

Truck:
    LEXXXI - '93 Toyota Pickup shorty, with 5 on the floor!
    Sounds like a sensor going out.. but which one.. idk there are a few sensors that feed info to the ECU that can change the parameters and adjusts either fuel or timing.. is your voltage dropping? Low voltage can make electrical sys. act funny too. Check your charge side of the turbo and make sure there are no cracks, they can expand with heat.

#foodforthought

3. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Addict

Truck:
    I've messed around with a few things, some of which made things run better, somw of which made things run worse, but in the end I think that thungs are working just fine!

I went for a drive tonight. I let the engine heat up in the driveway for 15 minutes, then drove for about half an hour. highest speed was around 35, but everythung was smooth. AFRs were on point, temps were looking good, and idle seemed smooth.

4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Addict

Truck:
    LEXXXI - '93 Toyota Pickup shorty, with 5 on the floor!
    I don't remember if you mentioned checking the cold start injector time switch.. that's one variable that stops adding fuel once hot.. #foodforthought

5. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Addict

Truck:
    I had run thungs with all of the sensors unplugged, and unplugged, and had the same results. I ended up installing the LCE fuel mixture adjustment knob thing, and played with that for a while. I could get the AFRs right while driving, but at idle they were out of wack. It would run lean, I would turn the knob to rich, and get close to stochio, then it would drop lean dradtically, turning it ul would go back waaay lean.

I installed a backup O2 sensor, and hooked that back up to the ECU instead of my PLX, and things are back to good.

I ran the engine hot, then turned on the radiator fans, headlights, interior fans, and the stereo to drag the alternator, and things still ran on point, so I will assume the best.

Short test ride last night, longer one this morning, tomorrow I will try to get on the highway and out of town! fingers crossed that I make it back without pushing

Erwin Merida likes this.