Best choice for engine swap?

Discussion in '1976-1983 Pickup Discussion' started by 2x4INMY4x2, Feb 23, 2021.

1. 2x4INMY4x2

2x4INMY4x2 Newbie

Truck:
    82 long bed 2 wd
    I just got my first toyota pickup. It's an 82 2wd longbed with a 5sp. I got it running really nice, good comp, no rattles or ticks, but it's still gutless. I need power to tow boat and haul materials. Looks like a couple thousand bucks gets me to maybe100 rear wheel hp.
    My question is what's the best choice for getting into the 150+ hp range. Cheap and easy of course

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    How much work are you trying to do? And what are emission tests like around your area?

small block chevy or LS swaps are pretty common and simple from what the internet says

Perkolator likes this.
  3. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
  4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    What’s the gearing on your rear differential? Gearing may help give you the low end pulling power you want, without an engine swap. I think the 80s 2wd trucks had several gear ratio options and some are pretty high for hauling situations - like 3.43 or something like that

5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I see a stroker build is high risk low reward for these motors. Better off building for boost for the money.

2rz would be a simple swap right around that 150hp range with a few simple mods. Thats kind of the modern motor to go to for older toyota trucks.

6. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
  7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Personally ive been looking at a 5VZ swap. Awesome torque in a small package (Thats what she said)

not sure how simple the wiring can be made but its one to look into

8. 2x4INMY4x2

2x4INMY4x2 Newbie

Truck:
    82 long bed 2 wd
    Wow, thanks for all the great replies.
    First off, it's a 22r. Odometer stopped at 161,000 and I figure that happened some time in the 90's so I know from experience if I put all those shiny goodies on top I will have to address the bottom half at some point.

I'll have to look at the gearing. They seem fairly low because it doesn't seem to like being on the highway much. That # must be on the vin, right? Although the speedo is way off my GPS says 70 is max for my comfort zone.
    No emissions check here in central washington. That's another bonus from leaving the Seattle area

9. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    The gearing code should be on your ID plate/sticker thing. Here's a guide to decoding what you've got: https://old.lcengineering.com/LCTechPages/TECHGEARJANUARY.html

I didn't really answer the original question but my 1st engine swap choice would probably be toward the 3rz. My 2nd and dream choice is likely a 1uz swap, 3rd an LS swap. I think the engine mounts are even the same for the RZ, just in a different location, so you can use an offset bracket vs cutting/welding engine mounts. In just stock form the HP is decent - I drive my inlwas 98 Tacoma 3rz/4wd/5spd regularly and that truck has significantly more pep than my 20r and 22re trucks. Their 2rz/2wd/auto Tacoma is just ok I think because it's an auto trans and likely gearing too. Also, if you do this swap and later decide to boost it, they put smiles on faces.

10. 2x4INMY4x2

2x4INMY4x2 Newbie

Truck:
    82 long bed 2 wd
    Thanks percolator, just the type of info I was looking for on the easier engines to look at. Is all the new electronics fairly simple?
    I like the idea of an LS or possibly Buick 3.8 but I know what a can of worms looks like.
    When I read these threads about such swaps I wonder how much smarter those people are than me.
    I don't want a garage full of parts and a broken truck that my wife says used to run fine.
    I will check gearing when I get home next week. With the speedo reading about 10mph slow at 60, I wonder if it's original gears