Belts and Pulleys

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by 69z22, Sep 16, 2010.

1. 69z22

69z22 Newbie

Novice mechanic but old enough to work on cars. My 89 Toyota pickup has an extremely noisy belt. I know when a belt starts to make noise it should be replaced. However, thebelt was smoking real bad at the middle pulley. The middle pulley was not turning, and the belt was almost red hot, and about to start melting. The smoke from this was bad also. I cut the belt off, and that middle pulley is locked up. I tried to remove the pulley and bracket but have a hard time getting the bolt out near what I think is the smog pump? The smog pump's pulley is in the way. I really don't want to take a bunch of parts off. How can I remove the smog pump pulley?

'89 Pickup 4WD, 22RE

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. project_DragTruck_v2.0

project_DragTruck_v2.0 Veteran

I'd just remove the whole damn pump. But then again, I live in kentucky where pollution doesn't exist.

Which pulley are you refering too as the "middle" pulley, the one with your fan attached to it?

If so, your problems are worse than belts and pullies.

3. MTB68TOY

MTB68TOY Addict

Truck:
    93-2wd 2.5/3drop, 87-4wd22RTE, 06GTOls2, 08FJCruiserTT(Daily)
    Sounds like your idler pulley locked up
    Both did that on my 93 and I actually pulled both of them of a POS 84 parts truck and those old ones are still good... :shrug:

The only pointer I can really give you is that the bolt in the center of the pulley locks it in place so until you loosen it the adjuster bolt won't move

I have a 2wd but I don't remember anything really being in the way to have to remove it

The top center pulley is for the power steering pump
    The bottom passenger side one is for AC

The whole PS pump and bracket has to come off to change out it's idler pulley

GL!

(8