Barto's 85 4X4 Build Lot's Of Pics........

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by BarTo, Feb 14, 2009.

1. BarTo

BarTo Member

Truck:
    80' 2wd, 85 rockcrawler
    I wheel a 1985 toyota pickup 22re welded Front/Rear thirds, 63" chevy's in the back with a home brew revolver shackle, Custom built flat deck with dove tailed box and removable custom aluminum boat/lumber rack and beefy sliders . 36" M/T's on 15x8 steelies, High steer,dual cases, Full Exo Cage
    This Is A progression thread From the beginning till now Here are all the pics
    It started as a cab, frame, And moter.

I bought this truck in october of 2007 as a bone stock truck with no box. I was on a major budget at the start so a cheap flat deck and some 31's is what it got first.
    [​IMG]
    note the back left tire in the air.

I then found some 33x9.50's for cheap and did a minor spring lift in the front, shackles, 4runner rears, 2 inch blocks and a ubolt flip in the back and welded the Diff. I am a cheap basterd so i figured out that 1980 ford t-bird shocks work for the front and are 18.00$ a piece. Had some free scavanged pro comp shocks for the rear and relocated the mounts on top of the rear Housing. Flexed alot better.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Deck was Annoying me because I couldn't just through stuff on it and have it stay there. so some sides were in order. found a super cheap length of 1 1/2 square tube and away I went. Also made some aluminum pieces to plate in the side made a good trade and got them powder coated. Then welded up an aluminum tail gate. I think it came out alright. A buddy of mine gave me the swing away carrier from his pathfinder, a few cuts some welds and a spare tire carrier was born.
    Also got some 33x12.5x15 good year MT/Rs did up some cheasy fender flares to keep the fuzz out of my hair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had some spare time in the shop and decided that I wanted a boat/lumber rack so this is what I came up with not quite finished needs gussets and the hoop out over the cab but not bad for my first real attempt to build anything big out of aluminum

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I needed a winch asap for a run we were going on was coming up so this is what 2 1/2 hrs can come up with

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally got the Dual cases installed and drive shafts re done. Crawl is the s**t. The rear shaft is schd. 80 pipe lathed out the ends to accept stock toyota ends. front shaft is 21/2" reciever tube. and can stretch out to double as a spare rear!. I picked up some new rims as the old ones were really bent. and if everything goes well I will be rolling on 36x12.5x15 Super Swamper radial tsl. whoo who!!!

Next up is mount the ifs box and finish the high steer. I just welded the front 3rd up and have my front spring packs all ready to go. They consist of a toyota rear main leaf, A few random wagoneer leafs and an abortion of other toyota leafs. they ended up being 7 leafs packs when I was done but they are super flexy, and should take the added weight of the cage when it is put on.

I have no pictures In this stage. I think that a picture will better describe the t-case cross member that was used. everything was lifted about 4 inches to almost flat belly it. I Had to do the old canadian body lift ie. hockey pucks to clearance the floor for the t-cases.

but it all worked out awesome.

I had tried to cut the floor out in order to clear the doubler with out a body lift, but it was not going to happen. So on to patching the floor to allow the new shifter boot i got to seal.
    [​IMG]

And from another angle

[​IMG]

A side shot of how much higher the t-case in tucked
    [​IMG]

Back of the cross member and the square-tube drive shaft.

[​IMG]

What she looked like then....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My fuel pump died and the truck was off of the road for 2 weeks.

once it was fixed I took it out for a little shake down run Nothing hard as I was with a stock ifs open/open Toyota.

I finally mounted my 36x12.5x15 radial swampers. Man they work well with the new crawl box.
    Here's some pics, No Action shot's just some poser's LOL...... even found some snow
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was back east for most of may and june 08' so the truck was just sitting......

So as soon as I got home I got to work. tore everything out from under the front, hung some toy rears springs up front, cut out all of the push pull bull**** steering and plated the frame for the new ifs box.

So now I have highsteer, rears up front, fresh 4:10 locked up, ford shock towers, and some rancho 5012's.
    Oh and I painted it Drab Olive....
    here are some pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you can see the plates that I made for the steering box and pushed it about 5" forward.

[​IMG]

Then we went wheelin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this was the stock truck that was in a few of my other pics. with his SAS done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had some major rubbing issues between my pitman arm and my drivers side spring. So i went into the shop yesterday and built a drop hanger for the front of the front springs rubbing issue solved.

This is about 3/4 of the build so far but this just took me like 2 hours to do so enjoy and will post the rest later

Cheers Barto

2. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    looking good:waytogo:

really diggint the flatbelly without a body lift:clapping:

3. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    man, i need to hook up with some 4x4 guys and just ride with someone... good job so far man!

4. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    91 V6 SR5 Xtracab, 87 22RE 4x4, 73 HiLux 18R SR5
    I miss my 4x4's and am looking for another one as we speak. Looks like you have a lot of good wheelin places out there.

5. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    Gotta love those modded out '85's. Looks b****en bro, and olive drab is hot on that truck! Great job!:waytogo:

Did you make the flatbed yourself? I know you did the rack on top, but the flatbed looks hot too! I've seen a few kits, but the sites want the frame cut and painted. I don't plan on cutting mine, maybe painting later, but I am somewhat considering flatbed, problem would be, where would I put the stock. I am 19, still living with my parents and they hate seeing the parts I have already taken off in the side yard, a bed would piss them off!:lol:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  6. BarTo

BarTo Member

Truck:
    80' 2wd, 85 rockcrawler

I have Built the whole truck myself....... No Kit's for this guy

It does helps that i am a welder/fabricator by trade I guess. the buety of this rig is i don't give a **** about anything and just beat the ever-living **** out of it.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i140.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/bayfieldboy/Wheelin/MVI_2536-1.flv">