Aussie RN25 + RK40 Lite Stout = Frankenstout

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by OZRN25, Aug 9, 2011.

1. OZRN25

OZRN25 Newbie

Truck:
    1978 RN25 & 1964 RK40 Lite Stout
    Hello all, my name is Tom and I've just joined.

I'll take this opportunity to say that this is a fantastic site which I'm increasingly impressed with, and one which will no doubt be a wealth of knowledge and fun to be a part of, so I'm stoked to be here! I thank you all in advance for any suggestions, advice or knowledge you may want to impart upon me as I learn about my new ride!

This is my recently acquired RN25 Hilux, which I picked up from an uncle for a measely $100.

The car was sold new in the area I grew up (the Barossa Valley in South Australia), it has a known local history and I'm the third owner. The car has travelled a genuine 102,000 kms and, although untidy looking, has some outstandingly good points!

For the past 5 years, the car has been used as a wood gathering bus at the farm, and whilst in reasonably regular use was neglected quite badly by being left outside. Remarkably, the interior has, for the most part, survived this period very well and the dash remains uncracked and mint :waytogo:

The car has the original 12-R (all we got here in OZ) with the 4 speed column shift and 4 wheel drum brakes, and mechanically it is again in remarkable condition.

As we had planned a camping trip close to the farm, I used this opportunity to get the car going, register it (even after 5 years unregistered it was done in 2 minutes on the internet which i did on my phone - no inspection or roadworthy required here!) and took it camping for the weekend where, once again, we collected wood!!!

The main purpose of this was to test the clutch - I was told it was slipping but it passed with flying colours and got me the 60 miles home without a problem after a quick service, tune and clean haha!

Plans for the truck are to make it useable as quickly as possible after some maintenance and a few mods, then gradually fix rust etc to a point where I'm ready to paint it. I'm keen to go with the "ratty" look for a while as the car has a certain patina about it which I'm reluctant to change unless it absolutely needs doing. That said, once I start fixing rust I may just go for it and do the whole thing...time will tell and I'm in no hurry as it will be on historic registration which is dirt cheap here.

Will hopefully be updating regularly!!

As found at the farm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And during it's weekend of camping with the happy new owner
    [​IMG]

Hilux country this...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The original dealer sticker, unfortunately the business wound up a few years back
    [​IMG]

Ok I must run for now, but will complete this introduction soon with many more piccies to come.

2. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    Welcome glad you Aussies <-hopefully right term are joining up

3. OZRN25

OZRN25 Newbie

Truck:
    Your terminology is spot on, and thanks for the welcome........mate!! :waytogo:

So here is the next stage of the story...

After doing 50 k's of driving over the camping weekend, the car went back to my mums and I came back for a day during the week (I was on holidays) to do some work. After changing some tyres around (one of the fronts was delaminating...and they are retreads:runaway:) and giving the old girl a scrub, I got onto an oil change and filter, spark plugs and points even though it was running fine at the time. The points had a massive hole staight through them, so I'm surprised it ran at all. Toyota's...designed to keep bloody going... Once servied she was purring like a new one, and I'm impressed at how tight the motor seems so far - haven't even adjusted the tappets yet... Also flushed cooling system even though the radiator is leaking - the water was not fit for a mud crab!

A friend (fellow Toyota tragic, but his caper is old Crowns) had some hubcaps lying around which fitted, so they went straight on, as did my steering wheel off the Corolla...I don't have a horn or self-cancelling indicators until I get a specific boss cit or make one up.

I had the good fortune of finding one of these at a local wrecker with both doors rust free and straight, which I snapped up along with the under-glovebox parcel shelf which you'll see below - this car was missing it. Also got a few other trim bits and stuff which I'll share later, and I'm going back to get a few more bits off it this weekend if I can.

I know I mentioned this before, but no cracks in the dash...oooh yeah!
    [​IMG]

Hood lining...in similar condition!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seat has a couple small rips and tears, but nothing too bad for now!
    [​IMG]

Cleaning the front end had predictably good results
    [​IMG]

As did the hubcaps and taking a photo without the sides on...
    [​IMG]

And all loaded up for the trip home with black tyres even, and with a huge blind that mum didn't want...handy that I had this to take it home :meemee:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  4. OZRN25

OZRN25 Newbie

Truck:
    Ok so here are some more pics before the serious work starts...

I'm already getting some great ideas off this site, and can't wait to get stuck into it.

Going to look at a styleside tub for it next weekend - I know where one is but can't remember what sort of condition it's in... (pics in my intoduction thread).

Removed the mesh grille from behind the back window for instant cool!
    2 people sitting in there brought the height down nicely too, but not far enough :funnyup:
    [​IMG]

We all took turns at experienceing the awesomeness of this truck by taking at around the block...happy days!
    [​IMG]

This shot shows my friends MS55 Crown with V8 conversion....
    [​IMG]

And here is some of the less appealing shots...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. OZRN25

OZRN25 Newbie

Truck:
    Well, I have stumbled across a complete, straight and mostly rust free tub with tailgate for this car.

These are, so far as I know, very rare in Australia, soooo....I think I'm going to buy it!!!!

Now this is getting interesting, I have had an idea to do a tribute to the Australian Telecom utes - they used quite a few RN25's, all Orange and all with tubs so I believe. The plan would be to do it in a very matt finish orange and have the logos on the doors...low...etc

Getting it off the car it's on and back here is going to take some planning and a few bastards to help....

6. andysmiley17

andysmiley17 Veteran

Truck:
    82 Diesel
    sweet truck man, i really like your plans for it. any more pics of your friends crown?:D

7. devin343

devin343 Newbie

Truck:
    78 2wd with camper
    that thing looks badass!

8. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    LOve the truck. Also love the horn buttonb on the steering wheel. Cant wait to see more done to this.

9. OZRN25

OZRN25 Newbie

Truck:
    Thanks for the coments guys, I'm getting more and more excited about it.

Dgerfan55 - the steering wheel cost me $10 from a swap meet and the stickers were $6 for 4 of them of feeBay. It's a bit ratty but I like it

I'll try to get some more pics of my mates Crown, but there are plans brewing for that too which mysteriously involve the Stout body in my avatar pic..............for real

10. 1977 JAF MINI

1977 JAF MINI Member

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Pickup Longbed
    Nice truck and welcome. You wasted no time on putting her to work. Lol.

11. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    She's cherry! very very clean! is that a blue Toyota Crown?!

12. Enemy of the State

Enemy of the State Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 xtra cab
    Nice truck! I can't wait to see updates!

13. OZRN25

OZRN25 Newbie

Truck:
    Yes it's a blue MS55 Crown with a V8 conversion (308 Holden which was our domestic V8 motor). We're actually going to have a look tomorrow to make some measurements, but there is a possibility he will be putting a Stout body on the V8 Crown chassis if it will fit... this will no doubt require a separate thread if it happens!

So here is the tub as it sits at the wreckers...very straight with mainly surface rust as bad as it looks! Will be cleaning it out tomorrow and prepping it for moving / removal from the chassis.

Sitting on an angle like this has saved this thing - has been here a long time and the tailgate opened like a new one - no serious rust that I could see as the water has just drained out so easily :clapping:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparently they used to remove the tubs to fit custom made trays for telecommunications work, then re-fit the tub when they were de-commissioned and sold to the public. Would explain why the inside of the tailgate looks so good!
    [​IMG]

This thing took a good hit!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  14. rn41leroy

rn41leroy Newbie

Truck:
    81 shorty
    hey mate,

I'm from aussie as well, northern NSW,

i have never been much of a fan of the pre 78 hilux's but now more than ever i am loving seeing shorty's. Keep up the good work!!! you wont regret it.

Also, have you seen any 79-83 SWB style sides around the traps?
    i need one for my ute.

Leroy

15. OZRN25

OZRN25 Newbie

Truck:
    Thanks for the comments Leroy, haven't seen any style sides for those lately but they do pop up from time to time...

So I'm got a week's holiday's and thought I'd get stuck into the beast.

Today's efforts included removal of the engine / gearbox, alloy tray and some of the interior. Also went back to the wreckers on the weekend and cleaned out the tub a bit for removal.

We found lots more rust...especially around the plenum and subsequently around the pedal box and heater unit, which will have to come out. There will be a full day of grinding / digging / treating and another full day of fibreglassing / bogging to come this week if we get time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See anything special in this photo? Stainless steel "Tonal" Muffler!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Great Job !! Keep the updates coming !!

22R88

17. OZRN25

OZRN25 Newbie

Truck:
    Thanks chaps, I'm amazed at how durable evything mechanical is, but they didn't use very thick metal in sections... :runaway:

Essentailly this is a quick fix to get the plenum working again, get rid of all the rust and stop leaks then give her a spray and hope it lasts 10 years!

To fix it properly would involce an impossible amount of un-stitching, welding and is frankly just not worth it for the value of this car.

That said, it should clean up well and be a good lesson in bogging and fibreglassing for me, and will be a cool ride once done!

Today involved removal of steering column, pedal box and heater box to reveal the extent of the rust in plenum. Also took off doors and removed more crap from engine bay to prepare for the wielding of a variety of digging, gouging, scraping and general cleaning tools of the electric and compressed air variety.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where the action is at... oooh yeah
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let the digging begin :clapping:

18. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    It is odd how some things are different yet others are the same with the US vs Aussy versions of these trucks.

Your truck is a Aussy spec 78 with drum brakes, 4 speed column shift, short cab and a 12r. My 78 is US spec with a 20r, 5 speed floor shift, disc brakes and a longer cab.

I wouldn't mind having your dash though for a rhd conversion. :D

What are the plans other than the bed? V8, suspension work etc?

19. OZRN25

OZRN25 Newbie

Truck:
    Yes it sucks that you guys got the bigger motors, better gearboxes etc etc...it's the same with Corolla's especially but many other makes of Japanese imported cars - we got all the base-spec ones!

No plans other than basically cleaning and painting to make it look fresh, lower a bit (probably 2 inches at rear and adjust front to suit) and just use it. The 12R is slow but strong and I haven't got any reason to change it as everything works fine. It's too far gone to restore so basicaly get it to a stage where I'm happy then paint and get 10 years use out it hopefully!

Hoping for original but semi-rat look, straight and rust free with a nice interior and stealth stereo install.

20. OZRN25

OZRN25 Newbie

Truck:
    More again...final removal of bits and gave the cab a good scrub in and out, including removal of assorted leaves, spiders and an ants nest from the plenum.

Having a day off tomorrow as I can't spent my entire holidays working on this thing and I'm exhausted!

Engine bay went from this....
    [​IMG]

To this...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we finally got the front bumper off after considerable patience with the bolts, and I removed the front apron to reveal a whole load of trouble....
    [​IMG]

Both front mounts for the cab behind the radiator support...Fortunately this area is well hidden and there is still plenty of structure and strength behind this, so will get cleaned up, lightly filled where it's visible and then painted black like the rest of the engine bay haha

Ouch...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Definately got some work to do now... not going to lose motivation though as lots of other bits are it insanely good condition. More to come!