Another Winter Modifation

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by TRUCK ACTION, May 25, 2016.

1. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    image052_ec40014e-4c9d-4694-bd8d-23ed5c9b81e7_1024x1024.png 2013-08-15_14.40.34_1024x1024.jpg 20160524_144743.jpg View attachment 16952 View attachment 16953 View attachment 16954 View attachment 16954 View attachment 16954 So I've been tossing around an idea for my next winter project even though I kind of started it!
    I found this site a few years ago that modifies Supra tail lights & I like the look, not so much the cost!!!
    They rebuild your tail lights to all COB LED's ,either single ring or double ring, see photo's
    , looks like the brake & tail lights might be triple rings!
    There is another company in Canada that will make the boards with COB LED's, at 1/2 the cost ,but still over $500!!
    Any way I have my two old tail lights to test with so on the first one I removed the outer lens & inner cover to get to the inner lens, of which I can't get the lens off! I decided it would be better to cut away enough of the back of that portion to gave me enough area to insert a backing plate( plastic disk) to which I'll mount the same LED strips that I use at the front of the truck & I'll seal all up with water proof sealer. The third photo is the inner lens with the back cut open!
    Today I have to get two more sizes of hole saws so can cut the backing plate to the size that fits the opening than get the LED's & test fit & check the look!
    We see if it goes well enough so cut my new $300 Supra Lights!! And yes I already run LED bulbs!!

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I kinda like it. Just doesnt look like it would be enough light output during the day

3. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    LED's are supper bright, the LED eye brows I installed at the front of my truck stand out very well in day light, I leave them on all day at shows very noticeable!!

4. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    That will look very interesting once complete! I want just the regular tail lights with LEDs but eith a clear lens that i can tint later.. I am still on the fence about the rear tail light look i want..

5. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I've run the Supra lights from the being of my build as wanted to keep Toyota based products, but wanted different from most!! This will give them a different look & be very effective!

6. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I worked on my 2nd test tail light,& without removing the outer lens cut away a 3'' dia. area of the outer back cover & than cut away the inner lens back & fit to the size of the backing plates that will hold the LED's.
    Like this better than removing the outer lens which I have concern about it resealing!
    Now I have to wait to receive the LED's!! 4  Marking a 3\'\' Dia cut area.jpg 5  Removing all in the way for cut.jpg 6  Cutting out rear cover away.jpg 7  Inner area cut away & sized for backing plates.jpg

Mikerocosms likes this.
  7. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Cant wait to see them!

8. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    So I got the first 4 test rings made up & the holes opened for a tight fit, next wire up to the harness & install so can see the look next the stock unit with just LED bulbs!
    If looks like I want then do same to both the new tail lights! 20160609_102915.jpg

Attached Files:

9. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Got the test tail light wired up & on the truck! The side by side look showed me that on the red lens I need to use red LED's not the cool white , makes the lens look more orange than red! 11  Test light wired up.jpg

jblaust likes this.
  10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Ive read its best to use LEDs the same color as the lens they are behind.

11. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    1994 Pickup Standard Cab Base 22RE Manual
    Looking good! Wanna make me a set?

12. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Yeah SBL said to use red on the red lens ,returning what I haven't cut & new LED strips & 60mm halo's will be here Friday! Will use the cool white behind the turn & back up lens, & sill have to work with the flasher,change to LED type as the turn lights won't flash!

13. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Thanks for this tip! I am slowly making a new 3rd brake light for another car and was wondering if the bright white LED would wash out the red lens. I guess I'll have to order red LEDs now...