Amp going into protection mode when big bass hits

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Mini Truck love, Mar 31, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Mini Truck love

Mini Truck love Newbie

I am having an issue with my amp going into protection mode when hard bass hits. my voltage regulator went bad so I was thinking it may have damaged the amp so I got a new one and replaced fuses. It didn't fix the problem. New one still goes into protection mode. I have checked all of the connections going to the amp and speakers and the are snugly making contact. Are there any capacitors or something I should replace that could fix this?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Most likely too much amp, not enough alt. Do your lights dim at all when you're playing music at night?

capacitors are just a bandaid that wont help you, just going to strain your already weak charging system.

3. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Are you running 2 batteries or just 1?

Many times heavy amp drawing accessories overload the standard 12 volt system.

If not already doing so, add a separate 12 volt battery with an isolator and run all stereo equipment off of that. Deep cycle marine battery is the way to go. What gage wire are you running for your amp? 8 or 10 gage is best. Bigger wire means less voltage drop.

Isolator will protect your main battery from being discharged when engine is shut down. Also test your main battery for charge. Weak battery uses more alternator current to maintain voltage.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  4. Mini Truck love

Mini Truck love Newbie

Jetas, My lights are not dimming currently, they were dimming when I put a new Mechanical voltage regulator on and it would click constantly unless I had all lights and heater on. I found a electric one and that fixed lights dimming and cutting power to stereo with acceleration.

Fred, I am currently using 1 battery to run a single 10" sub on an 1100 watt amp, with an 8 gage main power wire.
    I was running this setup for over a year before it started to act up.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    What size fuse(s) are on the amp? And is the ground at the frame good?

6. Mini Truck love

Mini Truck love Newbie

It has a 30 Fuse on the amp and I have a 15 on the remote wire going to stereo. A AGU fuse holder off the battery, I am not sure the size. And the ground is firmly attached to a clean spot on the cab floor.

7. David Eidson

David Eidson Member

If the new amp is still going into protection mode, consider checking the ground connection, ensuring it's robust and clean. Additionally, inspect the power and remote turn-on wires for any damage. Examine the speaker wires for shorts or loose connections. If the issue persists, assess the car's electrical system, including the alternator and battery health. Check if the amp's impedance matches the speaker load. Capacitors might help with voltage stability but won't fix an underlying issue. If problems persist, consult with a professional car audio installer to diagnose and address the specific cause of the protection mode activation.