am I blinded by love?

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Kev55, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

Hey everyone!
    Been a long while since I did an update for my 88' project/daily/work/ truck, but I need some educated opinions on something...

In March or April I could be moving from Ft.lauderdale,FL to Boulder,Colorado..
    And I don't know if I can or even should take my 88' 2WD with ~180k??

Right off the bat it's a 2,000+ mile drive to get there. Then I have to take into account things like rougher terrain and climate difference, which might give me trouble....
    I love my truck and think it's perfect, but the tranny does slip and it's eating oil. So before I even leave I have to definitely get the tranny rebuilt and probably get the valve seals on the head changed..

Everyone and their mother is telling me that I NEED either a FWD or 4x4. And that my truck is too old and probably wont make the trip and that I should get a subaru.... But I'm like lick my balls its a 22re...

I considered looking for another yota 4x4 but couldnt find anything I really liked...or in my price range...I don't really plan on going off-road?

I have pretty big tires in the rear, and I might lift up the ride a little little bit. But I think I should be fine with 2wd right? would I need to modify anything on the truck to handle the cold and terrain?

I love my truck and don't want to sell it. But I also need it to remain just as dependable as here in FL. So I want to make sure I'm making the right decision, even if it means just selling and buying a 4x4 :cry:

Attached Files:

2. bendiesel

bendiesel Member

Truck:
    83 locked and geared and 88 runner mild daily driver
    I lived in boulder for a long time and still work there. I say keep the truck. does it snow here, sure does, but we also get 300 days of sunshine. the snow usually melts off fast. And if it does snow boulder has good public trans in town and to Denver. or get a beat up old yota 4x4 when you get here. or throw down for a nice set of studded snow tires. as far as climate just make sure your coolant is up to snuff and have a decent battery. or just drive that girl out here and if it does'nt work out sell it. feel free to pm me any q's

3. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    keep it !

4. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

I found a guy on some website that actually travelled all the west in a 2wd hilux and he had no problem! I'm definitley just gonna keep my yota, it can handle all this I'm sure.

idk what the heck I was thinking...

5. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    I lived in Denver for 2 years diving my truck. You will be fine.

6. Ghostwhite

Ghostwhite Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 reg/long 2wd
    Some advice from a former north dakotan is to get some good all season tires for the winter and maybe add some sandbags for weight and you'll do just fine.