ac problems need help

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by 92 ridin low, Oct 13, 2012.

1. 92 ridin low

92 ridin low Member

Truck:
    1992 single cab toyota pickup
    my ac went out a couple weeks ago it was working fine then all the sudden the ac button wouldn't turn on and my compressor doesn't turn on either. i changed the 10 watt fuze behind the glove box it was blown but still that didn't solve the problem i checked all the wiring and it seems fine so idk wat to do:shrug:

btw im still running r12 on my yota. any help will be apreciated

2. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    It's been forever sense I've seen air on a 22r but there maybe a chance your clutch on your compressor has fried and is not engaging the compressor . Sense u mentioned it won't kick on and in does have freon? .is there a low pressure switch on this system can't remember could try jumping that and see if the compressor comes on

3. 92 ridin low

92 ridin low Member

Truck:
    how do u jump the compressor. it does have freon

4. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Well it's been along time but if u can find the two power wires running of the compressor put them directly to the battery and see if the compressor clutch engages heavy clicking sound . This might be one way to isolate the wiring in the dash and elsewhere just buy bypassing all of it . And see if u can get power to the compressor directly from the battery ...like I said it been like 7 years sense I've seen ac so I'm rusty with the schematics of it ..

5. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    true. "easy" way to determine if clutch problem or wiring problem. but BE CAREFUL!! - when powering the wire, only "tap" it to battery "+" , if u leave it on for more than 1-2 sec, u could run the risk of frying the system. if the clutch kicks on= wiring/power issue. if not, most likely clutch is fried. but double check everything. dont forget the "mag clutch" relay. if u can swap it with a known good one, its one step closer.

6. 92 ridin low

92 ridin low Member

Truck:
    i jumped started the compressor today and it did click i check all the fues there ok to the wires are good to so idk wat else it could be