A/C troubles - 1989 2WD pickup

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Ryno5150, May 13, 2010.

1. Ryno5150

Ryno5150 Member

Truck:
    89 2WD reg cab, 85 4Runner
    A/C was on, nice n cold, then green light on A/C button starts to fade...then goes out and A/C quits blowing cold. Tested switch, it is ok. B+ straight to compressor - blows cold air. When I put B+ straight to compressor, A/C switch light turns on. Fuses are ok. After looking at wiring diagram, my guess is the A/C amplifier went bad, or somehow a relay is not being activated by the switch. Unfortunately, I do not have a factory service manual for my pickup and when it comes to HVAC, the Haynes manual is completely worthless at best. I guess I have just been a little lazy about figuring it out, but now that summer is in full swing in GA, I want my A/C! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    test at the compressor and see if you have battery power, and if it starts to drop like the light fades. If so check at the A/C relay, make sure you are getting signal from the switch on that wire. If that signal drops its your a/c button. If that signal is nice and steady, i would bet its an issue with your A/C relay. swap one and test again.

3. Ryno5150

Ryno5150 Member

Truck:
    Thanks for the response. The more I think about it the more I am inclined to say it is the relay. Once the green switch light went out, it never came back on, except when I put a jumper wire from B+ to the compressor, which lets me know the wiring in the system is good. I will have to locate a relay and throw it in.

4. Ryno5150

Ryno5150 Member

Truck:
    It was just a fuse. I had no idea that the A/C fuse and relay were hidden behind the glove box. Nice to have A/C just as summer starts!