A/C Refrigerant Conversion

Discussion in '1976-1983 Pickup Discussion' started by 83pickup, Jun 22, 2022 at 9:06 PM.

1. 83pickup

83pickup Member

Truck:
    1983 22R Long Bed 5-Speed
    So, since it's summer without much to do and its broiling hot not to help it, I've decided to venture out of my comfort zone with my mechanical knowledge and attempt to convert my truck's factory A/C system onto the newer R134a/R13a whatever you call it refrigerant.
    Previously, I've owned a 1989 Toyota Van and had the A/C system converted to the newer stuff and I have a box of metric O-rings and some metal adapter fittings. In my introduction thread here , TRUCK ACTION gave me some steps for doing it, but I'm definitely gonna need some knowledge to do this, I probably have all of the tools required aside A/C-specific stuff like a refrigerant gauge and refrigerant and things, shouldn't be too difficult right? Haven't used the A/C since I got it (since its empty probably) but everything kicks in as it should, should take it to a shop for them to get all the old stuff out first though...

Luckily, I also have a 1983 FSM (Factory Service Manual) I can use as reference when needed, but I'll definitely need some input from the fellas here who've messed around with retrofitting their systems for sure, any input is appreciated! :) As of this posting, I'm observing some YouTube videos on retrofitting to hopefully help out with this. Thanks in advance!

2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Read what I had posted about what needs to be done!

3. 83pickup

83pickup Member

Truck:
    1983 22R Long Bed 5-Speed
    Assuming you mean this comment, the FSM (Factory Service Manual) shows a simple image of removing the receiver drier, "'TANK, RECEIVER AIR CONDITIONER' Part #: 88471-16010" which is pretty straight forward since its two clamps and two nuts and voila (should see if there's any R-12 still hanging around in the system beforehand so I don't explode something, damage something or get a gruesome injury!) Is it possible to reuse the drier or do I have to get a new one?

Removing the receiver drier and the compressor seem simple, and while I'm doing it I should do the drivebelts too since those are pretty cracked, probably somewhere in the manual on how to do that.

The FSM sure is damn handy as I would've had two left hands trying to do this without it and you of course! :bow: I'll see if I can muster some energy up tomorrow as today I was giving my interior a very deep clean and the Arizona heat was not too kind on me today as I had to run the truck with the fan on in the garage as to not pass out!!!

I'll look through my FSM some more to see what are the steps for removing stuff and all the specs for everything :thinking:Thanks again TRUCK ACTION