a/c control broken

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by 82LBUSA, Dec 26, 2012.

1. 82LBUSA

82LBUSA Newbie

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Need the climate control for '82 SR5. I think I will probably have to canabalize the heat/air control (dash) from a salvage yard, but if anyone knows of an online source or maybe even has one that is not broken let me know. Much appreciated. 82LBUSA

2. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Best bet eBay or the junk yards they often crack and break I'm still looking for a 88 one

3. 82LBUSA

82LBUSA Newbie

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Thanx scrub88. I used this link and got a ton of responses that have the part Select Manufacturer
    Just fill in the boxes and I'll bet you get several replys with the 82LBUSA

4. 82LBUSA

82LBUSA Newbie

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    ventilation booster?

In my quest for the climate control I've discovered their is a question of whether or not my truck has an option of "with boost ventilator or without boost ventilator". Does anyone have an idea of how to tell the difference? 82LBUSA:confused:

5. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    If the questions they ask on there site are generic questions and not Toyota specific I would go with what is normal in a truck that age and base model chances are the truck just came with regular air with options like fresh air or recirculated air and a few adjustment for wich vents blow air ex defrost/floor/dash I believe the term boost ventilator is a secondary motor for extreme cool down or heat up I don't believe Toyota gave such luxury in those days or for that matter on any hilux trucks

6. 1982rn34

1982rn34 Addict

Truck:
    1982 SR5 RN34
    The term "Boost Ventilator" refers to a non-A/C truck that allows fresh air to enter the cab when the side vent doors are open & the selector is on Fresh. There are hose ducts from the firewall to these vents. An A/C setup eliminates fresh air to enter the cab through these hose ducts since the holes on the firewall is blocked off. The side vents will now only receive air from the center vent.

Hope this helps!

7. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    I stand corrected . Boost ventilator just a fancy word for I ain't got no A/C

8. 82LBUSA

82LBUSA Newbie

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    scrub88 and 1982rn34 , Thanks men! makes sense to me. Much appreciated.

9. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've got this in my garage, along with a bunch of other parts I can't think I'll need. I'd like to turn it into money. I haven't pulled the compressor or core yet, but I have them too. (The plumbing was damaged and it's not a known working compressor.) But will this fix any of the problems listed in this thread?

10. 82LBUSA

82LBUSA Newbie

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    '82 p/u A/C controls

Well, I've been absent for a while and I missed this post. The parts shown are different from my old '82, but similar. I'll try to post pics to clarify what I need. And Thanks to all for the help. Toyota dealers are reluctant to help as they know the parts are not available anymore and I get different answers about what is and is not "Boost Ventilator". :confused: Please see page 2.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  11. 82LBUSA

82LBUSA Newbie

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    82 p/u A/C controls

P1010592.jpg

P1010583.jpg

Pics of the A/C controls. This is with factory air. The cab chassis is from Japan, the long bed was installed by Toyota in California. Can't find a dealer that knows what the difference is between "With Boost Ventilator" and "Without Boost Ventilator". Please click on the pics to enlarge.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  12. 1982rn34

1982rn34 Addict

Truck:
    1982 SR5 RN34
    If you are not speaking with a long time Toyota parts dept veteran, then they are probably avoiding your question. My local dealer has a staff member & a Parts Manager from the 70's that knows all of this stuff about the vintage Toyota's. It's like talking to a person who knows fuel injection only about your carb problems. Non-boost & boost ventilators share the exact same control panel with the exception of the fan switch having an extra speed and control ring to add or subtract cooling & the A/C stamp on the face plate.

Your original question requested for a source for a new climate control panel. I'm assuming you are in need of a replacement because one of your control links is binded up. If so, then salvage yards are a good source. There is also a Toyota Truck Dismantlers here in San Jose if you want to go that route.

Rick