92 2wd rear end problem

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by willgh333, Sep 27, 2022.

1. willgh333

willgh333 Newbie

Hi, I have a 92 pick up and I went to check the rear end, put it up on stands and rotated the wheels and only one would rotate. It would sound at one point in the full 360 like it was scraping. If it is “lined up” on both sides where it “scrapes” it will let the rear end spin the other wheel normally( in the opposite direction ofc). Do y’all think it’s my axles or my ring and pinion? Any help is very appreciated thank you

2. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    It's an open differential, one wheel can turn while the other doesn't. If you turn one wheel and the other doesn't turn, watch the drive-line when you turn the wheel, it should turn.
    Through the diff you have the right and left axles connected to the drive-line. Any time you turn one at least one other will turn. If you turn a wheel and the drive-line doesn't turn the opposite wheel will turn in the opposite direction.
    The scraping you hear is most likely the brake shoes or some loose component on the drum or the backing plate rubbing the drum. Might have picked up some debris as well.
    Sounds like normal operation of the diff, but you may want to check out your brakes.

Perkolator likes this.
  3. willgh333

willgh333 Newbie

Thank you so much for a response. I was really scrambling to find out if I was about to blow up my rear end or if it’s fine to drive for the time being.

4. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Sounds to alert you to your rear-end going bad would be grinding, whining, banging, chunking, thumping, clanging and those sounds will change by load. Sometimes it'll fail without warning.

If you have any worries get a couple of friends to give it a listen or take it to a mechanic (one you know you can trust). If you live close to a forum member it would be a good opportunity to meet a fellow mini-trucker. I've met many people over our vehicles. It's one of the things that drives community.

Perkolator and willgh333 like this.