89-95 bumper on 88

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by FOKAI12, Sep 16, 2009.

1. FOKAI12

FOKAI12 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1992 Reg Cab
    Do you think the body lines will match up if i put the 89-95 front bumper and valance on my 88? what will i have to do, any brackets any customization? Do you have any pics you can post to see what it will look like?

Thanks

2. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    thanks for the reminder of the bumper i need to go pick up

ill see, i have a bumper i need to get from a friend that came off his 94, if no one replys ill let u know

3. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
  4. FOKAI12

FOKAI12 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1992 Reg Cab
    Thanks, I hope it works out for you so I can get mine started.

5. FOKAI12

FOKAI12 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1992 Reg Cab
    Are they the 2wd bumpers or the 4wd bumpers or does it matter? I have 4wd fenders that I am about to put on and want to know which bumper will i have to buy to fit with the 4wd fenders I put on. Also which grill do I have to use or will the 84-88 fit or do I have to use the 89-95 one.

Thanks

6. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    If you alrady have 4x4 fenders then Id go with the 4x4 bumper cause to me it flows better with the fenders. You 2wd grill will work as well too or you can swap that as well to the 4wd model. On my 88 I had the 4x4 grill or you can swap everything over to the 89-95 model stuff.

7. FOKAI12

FOKAI12 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1992 Reg Cab
    Will I need any brackets to mount the 89-95 grille or will it just bolt right up? What about using the 4runner bumpers are the 4runner the same as the 4x4? Are they the same brackets also?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  8. 88eryoter

88eryoter Newbie

I've custom gabbed the 89 grille on my 88

It definitely does not bolt right up but it can be done in about an hour or so
    You don't just need the grille u also gotta buy the headlight housings I bought all of it on eBay for under $70 with shipping grill doesnt come with emblem but I used mine from the 88 grill just drilled 2 slightly different holes in my emblem and screwed into new grille existing holes looks good but to make this conversion work u have to put grillE and lighthousings together put up to the truck and line up what looks good then mark where the plastic fasteners should go then cut the appropriate holes in the appropriate spots I just drilled pilot holes though the metal then beat the **** out of the holes with a flathead s.d. And hammer till they were the right shape (square) then temporarily zip tied in place looks good though I hate the 88 grilles it looks like dodge f that! I'm new to the forum thing but I never found anything on how to do this conversion so I just tried it and I'm really happy with the outcome and wanted to help someone else if I can figure out pics on here I'll post some of mine good luck .