87 Pickup First Build Ideas and Questions

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Josh Swann, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Josh Swann

Josh Swann Newbie

Truck:
    87 Toyota Pickup Stock 22r
    What's up guys?!

First let me say, all of your builds and posts are amazing and pretty informative. All the questions I had when I bought this pickup had been answered. Now I have a few more questions about my build ideas and would like some input as this will be my first build and I want to do it right.

I bought this gem of an 87 Pickup with a 22r about a week ago for $450. I'm not gonna go into all the detail of the few things wrong with her right now as I can probably fix them myself. I got a job at a local car shop about 6 months ago and have access to a rack, tools, etc!

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]

Things to do to make her road ready before the build starts (not in order) -->

- Licensing (Obviously)
    - Lug Nuts (Drove home in the dark, doing 80, bed full of extra parts, flipped springs, missing 3 out of 5 lug nuts on one wheel, 2 on another, and 1 on the other 2 wheels..... Glad im alive. I had no idea.)
    - Battery, Cables, etc (Borrowed one from the previous owner to get her home)
    - Fluid Flush's (Fuel, Coolant, Oil, Brake, etc)
    - Flip Leaf springs back the correct way (Owner previous to the one I bought it from flipped them...)
    - Tires
    - Spark Plugs and Wires
    - Bolts for Bench Seat (Anyone know the exact size I would need? TIA)
    - Replace Shift Linkage Bushings (Thank you to the couple write ups I think I am capable of doing this)

Kind of a lot but not really considering we were able to start her up (After many many attempts and failures, adding fuel, oil, water, and some good vibes) and essentially floor it all the way home in the cover of night with no tabs haha

Build Ideas are next so here we go (again not really in order) -->
    Any input on items in this section are greatly appreciated!

- Webber Carb
    - Split Exhaust
    - Run 2 Glasspacks (Already has 1 and I got one as a gift from a friend. Why not be stupid loud?)
    - Rewire to Simple Wiring Setup (1 wire alt, just the basics, etc)
    - EGR Block
    - Desmogg Upgrade
    - Relocate Gas Tank to Bed
    - Belltech Street Performance Lowering Kit
    - Belltech Sway Arms
    - Weld the Diff
    - Nice wheels (Places to look?)
    - Swap to Bucket Seats (Have some honda seats lying around that might fit or ill make fit. Pics below)
    [​IMG]

- Wire Inverter to Battey into Cab
    - Install 150w 5.1 Logitech Computer Speakers (Powered by inverter. Did the same thing in my geo)
    - Tablet in Dash to Replace Stereo and Use Bluetooth
    - Install Steel Door Panels (Previous owner had some cut and now i just need to drill holes and install)
    - Steering Wheel and Quick Release (Where do I look?)
    - Paint Body Flat Slate/Dark Grey
    - Paint/Polish Wheels I Found
    (Polish beauty ring, paint stars black, paint black star accents tiffany blue/teal)

[​IMG]

- Paint Wiper Cowl Tiffany Blue/Teal or Wrap w/ B&W Sticker Bomb wrap from amazon
    - Paint/Wrap Fuel Door
    - Remove Door Mirrors
    - Purchase/Install Hood Mirrors
    - Paint/Wrap New Hood Mirrors
    - HID Kit
    - Line Bed w/ Stained/Sealed Wood (oak or cedar maybe) <-- Nice final touch right?

The idea is a clean looking daily capable of sliding around every once in awhile on a 24 year old's small budget haha

Any link, thoughts, input, etc is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks Guys!

2. bruner

bruner Newbie

Hey bro, I'm in Bellingham too! I saw that truck for sale and thought about taking a look at it. Got any extra interior parts? PM me if you want my number. I'm always down to help out another yota guy.
    -Nash

3. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Think carefully about putting tank in to the bed, if u plan to use as a daily, that is space being taken up and a hazard for loose items in the bed.

4. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    The seat bolts located on the out side are M10x1.25. Just FYI, there is 3 different size bolts on the floor pan. If you need the other sizes, let me know and I will locate my bolt bag and measure them again. Off top of my head, 1 is M12x1.25 and another is 7/16x20. Just let me know if you need the other ones and where they are located.

5. Josh Swann

Josh Swann Newbie

Truck:
    87 Toyota Pickup Stock 22r
    No Extra interior parts sadly :(
    I will def hit you up when she is on the road!

This is something I didn't even think about....
    I just thought a clean box-like fuel tank in the bed might be kinda cool looking. That is kinda far down the line in my build though so I will think about it for sure! Thank you!