85 Xtra Cab build

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by hswint, Feb 24, 2015.

1. hswint

hswint Newbie

New to the Toyota pickup world, but not to Toyotas. I've got a 91 MR2 with a 2.2L 5SGTE, Megasquirt standalone, Precision 5858, BC 264s, etc ready to be installed just trying to get my DD pickup right first. This is probably my 8th Toyota including Mr2s, Celicas, Camry, T100, LS400, etc.. Anywho this is a mini forum, I'll try to stay on track.

Got the truck around 2 months ago for dirt cheap with a 5th gear pop-out issue and front brake dragging issue. I didn't figure out about the dragging issue until I drove it all the way home and the longer I drove it, the more they would lock up.

Crappy picture from the day I got it-
    [​IMG]

First things first, I bought a Marlin Crawler shift bushing kit to see if I was going to need a new trans or not. With me having the best luck in the world, the bushings helped absolutely none and I bought a W58 from a local out of an 84 Celica with 68k miles. After 2 days and a newly fabbed trans mount later I had 5th gear again and a nice W58 swap.

[​IMG]

At this point, it was time to address the brake lock up issue. Long story short, I replaced every braking component (including the master cyl 4 times) and I still have a very soft pedaled, but extremely well-braking truck.

After I dealt with that headache I started to spruce the truck up. I installed a Weber 32/36 and did a full smog delete. When I got the truck the radio didn't work and it had no speakers. I wired in the radio and bought speakers and installed them. I also installed an Isuzu Rodeo lower valance.

[​IMG]

Couple things left to do is get the A/C working, Starion wheels, and lower it. I've got blocks already, just waiting to get the wheels in the next 2 weeks to lower it.

2. hswint

hswint Newbie

Couple pics of my MR2 build and past cars-
    Current setup
    [​IMG]

Mock-up with old manifold and turbo-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My old SC4-
    [​IMG]

Old '80 Celica LB daily-
    [​IMG]

3. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
    90' xtra cab Sr5, 2003 taco
    She looks awesome!!! Didn't get to say it in your other post but welcome man. Hope to see more on your build.

4. hswint

hswint Newbie

Thanks man!

5. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Welcome. Are you Virginia? That SC looks familiar.

6. hswint

hswint Newbie

I'm in Georgia. I sold it to a guy in Tennessee about a year ago so it could possibly be up that way.

7. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    Nice SC you had there bud!

8. hswint

hswint Newbie

Just bought Cragar Soft 8's 16x8 +13 and new Hankook Ventus 195/55s. They should be here within a week so I should be lowered within 2 weeks! Stay tuned for updates.