85 pickup with 1uzfe heart

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by dbp510, Jun 16, 2017.

1. dbp510

dbp510 Newbie

Alright so first post on this forum. I used the site a ton while building the truck. I still have a long way to go but I wanted to start throwing pictures and details out there just in case anyone has any unanswered questions like I did and maybe someone can point out some of the stupid ˟˟˟˟ I messed up on lol.

So the truck is an 85 Toyota pickup with a 93 1uzfe Lexus v8 at the heart.
    It has custom coilover setup with homemade towers.
    The rear end is an 8" out of a 92 toyota pickup with a 2007 4runner lsd third member swapped into it.
    Stock w58 5 speed manual (waiting to find a r154).
    Has a 2.5 inch V-banded Exhaust from the manifolds all the way to the back with a custom made two in two out muffler that sounds great.
    The Fuel setup is a simple walbro 255 in tank pump with stock injectors.
    It has starion/conquest wheels on it currently but will be switched out for some wider SSR Reverse mesh wheels once the fenders get rolled or flared.
    Has 2 inch lowering blocks and 3 inch lowering springs in the rear with new shocks. (Soon to be 4-linked).

[​IMG]

The day i picked the truck up and trailered it home. It originally had a 22r in it but the previous owners decided to start the 1uz swap.

[​IMG]

As shown in the original Craigslist ad 9 months ago. The body is in excellent shape as the previous owners did a full frame swap, cab swap, and bed swap for the best parts they found.

In the above picture it was already attached to a w58 toyota 5 speed manual with the use of the adapter kit you can buy.

The motor mounts were cut off the frame and would need to be re welded when we got to that point in time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first day we had it home and in the garage it was tear down time. Over the next few days and weeks the front end and interior were stripped the rest of the way and It ended up being a really handy trash collector and the bed was constantly full of random crap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roll cage is out of a 71 datsun 510 which is another project i have that isn't being worked on currently. We were going to chop it up and make it fit but decided it wouldn't be worth it and be harder than just making a new one.

The first part of the project was to get the motor where we wanted it sitting then weld the motor mounts that got cut back in. Then get the transmission crossmember motified so we could bolt it in. We decided to shove the motor as close to the firewall as we could without beating it in to much. We also dropped the engine by cutting the engine crossmemeber out to give us a few more inches of clearance. (Currently it has a crossmember we custom built while it was on a rack. But have to pictures yet. I'll be pulling it out soon to paint it and I'll upload).

[​IMG]
    That is the stock crossmember with the stock mount and all we had to do was cut the mount in half and slide it back into itself and re weld it then spin the runner piece 180 and it lined up perfectly.
    [​IMG]

We had a stupid idea to take a set of coilover we had laying around and figure out a way to install them cheaply. We messed around with the coilovers as this wasn't a fast project by any means!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We removed the top control arms and cut the little lips off the inside and re welded them to open up the centers enough to slide the shocks down into. (I don't have a picture of the upper arms at the moment but can take some if anyone is interested). After digging through the mounds of random parts i found some tabs that worked perfect as the base and top of the coil itself.

Went down to the local metal shop in town and picked up a little sheet metal to start on building the towers to mount the coils to. Instead of buying hoops online I figured they probably wouldn't work due to using stock control arms (But who knows lol).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testing the metal by bolting into the stock upper control arm location.

[​IMG]
    Getting all the lines laid out for the shape of the towers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our home made sheet metal bender which worked perfect for this job.(Oh and the huge ass mess we made while building this truck is now all cleaned up)!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  2. dbp510

dbp510 Newbie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With everything tacked together we wanted to get the coils bolted in to see how they would look. Everything cleared surprisingly well with no problems.
    I still need to make mounts for the reservoirs and fix the fender wells that were cut out.
    One of the biggest things we wanted to do while building these towers was to insure that we would have a good amount of travel while still allowing it to be low. So we actually lowered the truck so it was about an inch off the ground from the cross member and the tires where resting against the bottom of the wheel well.
    Then built the towers to hold the coilovers with enough travel to go another 2.5 inches lower and then lifted the truck to the position it would be riding at sop it would have plenty of travel and droop. So technically the truck is lifted from its "stock" position.

[​IMG]

After test fitting a few times we had to remove the hump that was in the middle and cover it up to allow for clearance of the shock itself. We also decided to use some 600 pound short shocks instead of the lighter weight tall blue ones that were originally on the coilovers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh how nice it was to pull the old torsion bars out and free up all that needed room for the exhaust. (which is the main reason we went with coils).

[​IMG]
    Both left and right installed for time being before they get reinforced. The steering shaft and steering box cleared perfectly with nothing special having to be done to them. The crossmemeber had to be cut out to get the oil pan to fit in the correct position as we dropped the motor much lower and shoved it as far back as we could without cutting into the firewall.

[​IMG]
    Setting the ride height with the weight of the motor in.

While the motor was in and the truck was supporting its own weight you could actually see the towers moving inward while bouncing the truck up and down as they just weren't stiff enough yet.
    [​IMG]
    After reinforcing the towers themselves be
    fore they get tabbed and welded in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is how the left and right both sit currently. Just painted them black since this picture.I plan on running a brace from the top of one tower to the other side when i get some free time and it stops raining in this crappy Washington weather.
    The truck rides extremely well for being as low as it is in the front and handles very well too. I need to re install the sway bar and build the brace to actually test it to its full potential.

[​IMG]

Getting ready to drop the motor in which luckily only takes about 30 seconds.Unfortunately i stopped taking as many pictures as i was previously and wish i would have gotten more but at this point in the build we had been cleaning up the harness that came with the motor but after awhile messing with the old hard plugs on the harness they just started falling apart left and right and we were also missing the sub harness bellow the intake manifold. So i ended up buying a custom harness off of tweaked performance. It wasn't cheap but very much so worth every penny. Made it much easier to tuck all the wires. As you can see above we drilled a hole in the firewall to run all the wires inside the vehicle behind the glove box. Also It may not look like it at the time but we also moved all the wires and fuse box to the outside of the vehicle. The fuse box itself is underneath the passenger side wheel well flipped upside down for access. It is getting an enclosure to keep all the water out of it soon. The wires that originally run on the inside of the engine bay were the radiator goes were also relocated to the outside of the radiator as you can see in the picture below.

[​IMG]
    Bolting her down and wiring it up.

3. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Jesus you've been busy! I like how it's turning out. Can't wait to see the finished product

4. Drift Disciple

Drift Disciple Enthusiast

Truck:
    95 single cab 2wd 5spd 4cyl standard bed
    Definitely sub'd, I wanna 1uz my 85 turbo

5. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Nice build man. R154 is 5 speed though.

6. dbp510

dbp510 Newbie

Lol thanks I was thinking about a getrag 6 speed!

7. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

And those wheels are from a starion/conquest. Lol, everything else about this build is spot on though. I am proud of my 1uz swap but you're showing me that I'm an amatuer. Really interested in seeing the 4 link setup you build.

8. dbp510

dbp510 Newbie

Awsome I was told they were off of the earlier gen supras. Never looked though lol. Thanks for the heads up! Yeah I'm really happy how this thing is turning out I'm actually outside right now cleaning the interrior getting ready for all the sound deadening. I'll have to check out your build!

9. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

I don't know if you're already aware of this, shims are used in the upper control arm mount to adjust the camber exactly where you mounted the upper shock mount. Add shims for negative camber and reduce shims for positive. The shims come in different thicknesses and I picked up a collection of sizes from junked minis.
    I like the shock mount fabrication but I'm concerned about the flex stress on the control arm mount. It may fail due to metal fatigue without some sort of bracing. That's a lot of stress on that mount now that is supporting the weight of the front of the truck.

Also, throw some urethane bushings in that front end. The kit is cheap and it's a huge improvement. I even threw urethane body mounts on my cab.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  10. dbp510

dbp510 Newbie

Thanks for the tips on the urethane. I'll give them a shot, they probably need to be changed anyways. As well as the shims. I am aware of them I need to pick a small set up as the wheels are about a half degree out negative, although that is a pretty good spot for them to be. Also the shock mounts are gusseted and reinforced to the tops and sides of the frame rails. We will also be adding a strut tower bar to the tops to tie them together and even further we plan on running the cage into the engine bay and into the strut bar.

11. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

12. dbp510

dbp510 Newbie

Sorry i haven't been active lately! The truck has been running and driving for along time now. I bought a new Bmw M235xi so i havent been working on the truck much lately. Decided to pull it out and fix a few issues that have been bothering me. Im going to upload a google drive folder if possible which has a couple hundred pics of the truck and the overall build which some may find useful!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  13. dbp510

dbp510 Newbie

Haven't been active but have definitely been busy. Here's a few updates on the truck! I built molds (which i still have) and popped fiberglass fender flares that go on a 2wd bed. My opinion is they turned out better than what a 4wd bed would look like and are wider. Hopefully i be building more mold soon for front fenders and possibly side skirts.

Edit: oh yeah and i painted it. Twice... went from the ugly blue to a black. Then from black back to a sexy blue!

Also i would post more but literally all of my photos are over the 2mb max ‍♂️

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    jetas likes this.
  14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Are you on IG?