84 single cab short bed

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by nevadajh, Mar 15, 2009.

1. nevadajh

nevadajh Member

Truck:
    84 single cab
    My name is Jackson, Ive been posting on the yotascene but thought that I would share my project on here as well. It is an 84 Toyota single cab short bed SR5. I picked it up for $1000. I was amazed when I saw it because it was equipped with power steering, power windows, cruise tilt, factory sunroof, bucket seats, alloy wheels, and electric antenna. All this but no A/C?

Now that I have begun I bought 4wd fenders, 88-95 2wd front bumper/valance, a "new" bed (old one is for sale for you in my area Carson City NV), dropped spindles, 18 Lexus RX-330 rims (like Seth's old rims), LC Engineering intake, solid rear window, and next month I will be making the voyage to Cando for the upper and lower control arms, front bags and maybe more we'll see.

I have already began to prepare the truck for the front suspension by moving the battery, wiring, radiator overflow, and so on. Also to make more room I removed the power steering and cruise control.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are a few more pics I took not much to look at but it is a good solid base. I picked up this bed from Craigslist, the old owner bought the bed brand new to put on his truck then changed his mind and put a flat bed on his truck so this bed is completely dent/rust free.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pick of the passenger side cut out awaiting its trip to Cando for some love to the suspension. I think I will still have to do some cutting near the fire wall and upper rail were the fender mounts but I will wait till later to see just how much. The tape is just for mock up, proper clips will be used once I am satisfied. Need to do some alignment work on the front valance also.
    [​IMG]
    Same thing, different angle. You can see most of the wiring has been cleaned up and tucked away.
    [​IMG]
    LC Engineering Intake, that I am going to have to modify to make room when I cut out the driver side inner fenders. I am also going to do a little more wire work in this area and try and clean things up a little more.
    [​IMG]
    And the interior, not really going to mess with any of this till after everything else gets done so for now it will remain.
    [​IMG]

I got a little more work done. Friday I finished my battery tray relocating the battery closer to the radiator, cut out the driver side inner fender well, and continued with the fun and exciting task of trying to clean up some wiring (which I still have plenty to do). I made new ground wires, power wires for the starter and the power distribution box which is now next to the head light. Still have to fold the pinch on the inner fender well and may have to do some more trimming after Cando does their magic on the front suspension.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    lookin good!

3. phil03

phil03 Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 pick-up
    looks pretty neat, keep the pictures coming!

4. tehsk

tehsk Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2.4L Carb
    That's clean bro, I'm totally digging the setup of the interior. I'm going to hitup my local junk yard to find a similar center console / buckets. Do you mind posting some pictures of how the the MAF is held up with the LCE Intake? I heard they make a custom bracket but want to see it before I pick one up.

5. nevadajh

nevadajh Member

Truck:
    84 single cab
    This is the kit from LC the black bracket bots to the factory air box bolt closest to the headlight. Then the other hole needs to be drilled yourself. The MAF sensor is attached using allen head screws that are supplied with the kit, it requires that you remove the studs that are on the MAF unit from the factory. This was a very easy install took maybe 30minutes. I might have to do some mods after the air bags are in, maybe some minor clearance issues. I will let everyone know.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  6. tehsk

tehsk Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2.4L Carb
    Thanks for clearing that up for me sir.

7. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    :waytogo: thatz some good progress, looks like your taking the right steps in making one killa ride. Got my supplies from CANDO as well and love all of it. Its nice to see the work youve done so far, keep up the good work and surely keep us posted :headbang:

8. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Sweet! another toy getting ALOT closer to the ground (soon).

9. slowlux

slowlux Newbie

Truck:
    '86 Hilux 2wd Diesel
    That's a nice truck mate! You were pretty lucky to find a bed in that kind of condition!

10. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    Looks good, I agree. But I am glad that they changed the valve covers for my year, the base 22R valve cover like on yours doesn't go quite as well with the intake manifold. Again, looks good!:D

slowlux, you guys are so lucky to have the quad cab Hiluxes over there! If I ever needed to replace my truck for whatever the reason, I wish I could get one of those.

11. OJ's DNA

OJ's DNA Member

No kidding!!! Man I what a find on Craigs List, I'm so damn jealous...

12. tehsk

tehsk Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2.4L Carb
    Sorry to thread hi-jack but...speaking of Valve covers...are they plug and play from all years within a gen? I.E. A 88 Valve cover would work with a 84 Pickup, etc? I'm gonna pickup some valve covers and powder coat them at my dad's shop, in you're in so cal and want one done hit me up, i'll get you a good price.

13. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    yes 84-89, uses the same partern. the only lookin difference is the slant on the front wear it sa 22R..i personally like the slant valve cover..

14. tehsk

tehsk Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2.4L Carb
    Thanks for the info, this weekend I'm hitting up some junk yards for a valve cover.

15. nevadajh

nevadajh Member

Truck:
    84 single cab
    Today I swapped all of the dash lights to LEDs. Changed all of the green covered speedo bulbs to blue LED.

I wont have much progress to report on till I get the front suspension done next month at Cando...

16. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    Don't worry about the thread "hi jacking," that's why we have the quotations!:D I don't even know how many quotes I have used in all the posts I have done. Anyway, beside the point, I would be interested in something like that, but I can easily do that myself, I've got that valve cover in my 4x4. I eventually plan on painting it either red or blue, that and the intake manifold with EFI painted in black. Just need the time and money, then I'm good!:rolleyes:

17. tehsk

tehsk Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2.4L Carb
    You could paint it yourself but you'll never get a finish like powder coating. Check out my old man's valve cover. Not the best picture as it's on a camera phone and the cover is dusty but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. the_general626

the_general626 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    90 Toyota Pickup 2wd standard cab
    thats clean man! when i get my body work done and rebuilding the engine, then the powdercoating begins

19. tehsk

tehsk Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2.4L Carb
    I'm getting the stock rims sand blasted and then coated tomorrow. I wish I had my digital camera already. Pics from the blackberry will have to due.

20. nevadajh

nevadajh Member

Truck:
    84 single cab
    Well recent events have forced me to sell my yota..... If anyone is interested in a good rust free strong running truck it me up. It is in the same state as in the pics above and will come with drop spindles, 2 RE6 bags, and some misc interior exterior parts. Also a spare hood and OEM 4x4 set of fenders. It has the 22re engine, power windows, tilt, LC engineering intake, optima battery with billet mount, and billet overflow reservoir for the radiator. Front fender wells have been removed, wiring relocated, and looks super clean. Ready for you to bag/bodydrop!!! $1500.00 FIRM

Also if you are interested I have a set of 18in. Lexus RX330 wheels that I was going to use on it that I will sell for another $500.00

If you need anymore pics let me know and I will hook it up. 775-721-3931