'83 Pickup Mojave sputtering

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Giersh, May 26, 2010.

1. Giersh

Giersh Newbie

Truck:
    1983 Toyota Pickup Mojave Ed.
    I was told I could have this truck if I could get it out of their yard. I have no running vehicle, so I couldn't pull it. The carb had been rebuilt incorrectly. I bought a used one off of ebay, and after about 30 seconds of turning it over, it fired right up and I drove it home. It had been sitting for 2 years in their yard, and 4 years near a beach before that, and 3 more years in another yard before that, and before THAT it had been pulled behind an RV for 90,000 of the 138,000 on the odometer. Almost home, it runs out of gas. I assume it sucked some glop into the fuel filter [two year old gas will do that]. It was bucking really bad, after I put a couple gallons in it. Felt like it was getting gas, then none for a second, then a bunch all at once, then none again, repeat. So I bought a new fuel filter. Easiest fuel filter I've ever replaced. It sputters and kinda almost stalls while idling. It doesn't buck when I rev it up, but I'm a bit leery about putting it in gear and driving it, and don't even really want to crank it again until I know what else I need to do to it.

Replaced:
    Carburetor [obviously]
    Fuel filter
    All three belts up front [ac, powersteering, and alternator]
    air filter
    oil filter [and oil, of course]
    Plugs, Wires, Dist Cap, Rotor
    Gear Shift Knob =p [found one laying around that wasn't cracked and fugly]

Any ideas on where to go from here?

The doors were rusted out BAD around the hinges. The fenders have tiny spots of rust, but nothing bad, the hood has a bit over the drivers side headlight, the bed doesn't seem to be rusted bad at all [weird, considering], but it's had a camper shell on it, and there is a sheet of OSB with carpet glued to it [looks quite nice, actually] in the bed, so maybe I just lucked out. The exhaust is all kinds of rusted to crap, but that's no surprise.

I got some doors off of a 1981 Pickup. They're not rusted nearly as bad, but there's still rust around the hinge bolt holes. I think I can repair it. I hope I can. These doors have the little triangular vent glass, instead of the one piece windows.

Anyway, I'm just babbling now. Sorry.

2. Red1979SR5

Red1979SR5 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 Toyota Shortbox, 1992 Mazda B2200, 1972 Datsun PL521
    I would go down to your local autoparts store and get some Seafoam, just follow the intructions on the can, the stuff works amazing. Sounds like youve stumbled across a pretty uncommon truck, the Mojave package. We all love pictures here as you'll soon find out. Welcome! and goodluck!

3. Giersh

Giersh Newbie

Truck:
    I'll get some pics soon. Is Seafoam a fuel system treatment?

4. Red1979SR5

Red1979SR5 Enthusiast

Truck:
    Yes in a way. The way you use it is put 1/3rd of a bottle in your fuel tank, and pour 1/3rd of the bottle directly into your carburator with the truck running, it will bog the motor down and it will shut off, you let it soak for about 5 minutes if I remember right, and then restart the truck, it will be a little stubborn to start and make a big cloud of smoke, but this is normal. This should clean your carb really well and cure the sputtering problem. I did this on an 80s subaru wagon I got from a junkyard and it did wonders. The last 1/3rd of the bottle you can put in your oil but I dont recomend this because you have to change it again shortly there after.

Hope this helps

5. Giersh

Giersh Newbie

Truck:
    Greatly appreciated! I'll see about picking up a bottle tomorrow and see what happens. I'm going to shoot for a half tank of gas when I do this. I've got it at my buddy's house, and I'll be by there tomorrow or the next day. Expect pics within three days.

6. Red1979SR5

Red1979SR5 Enthusiast

Truck:
    No problem, just keep us posted. Cant wait to see some pics

7. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    screw seafoam...Just put ATF in the oil.. about a quart with your regular oil and run it. its gonna smoke like a SOB but it cleans everything out and helps lube up all the seals...

8. Giersh

Giersh Newbie

Truck:
    Well, I've got some money in my pocket now, so after a billion delays, I'm finally going to go finish tuning up my truck. I'll be getting pictures today, too.

I'll see what a large panel of analysts have to say about this Seafoam vs ATF debate. Or I'll ask which is cheaper at the store.

9. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    i had that happen with my 1st truck that sat for 10 years. you honestly going to possibly need another fuel filter, then run about 4 cans of berrymans b-12 in your fuel, that stuff really works great.

10. Giersh

Giersh Newbie

Truck:
    It's just a lot easier to upload a batch of pics to a minisite on tripod than it is to upload them to tinypic or whatever. This is the truck. I just got the doors on today. I sold my Tercel last night, and gave the guy my battery, so I've got to wait until I get another one to do anything engine related to it.

I'm glad a buddy of mine had some foresight that I was lacking. I didn't think to pull the locks out of my doors until we were at the scrapyard with the other truck [that I got the doors from].

I traded out the handles and locks from my original doors, and I'm happy to announce that I can LOCK these doors!! I'm new to this kind of thing, obviously.

Pictures:
    http://giersh.tripod.com/mojave/mojave.html

11. Red1979SR5

Red1979SR5 Enthusiast

Truck:
    Looks like you are off to a good start, Ouch is that rust bad though!

12. Giersh

Giersh Newbie

Truck:
    The plus side is that the bed isn't rusted out. It's got wood paneling and carpet inside, and I guess the camper shell kept water out of it, so the "rusted out bed" that I see on craigslist ads isn't present. Is the frame prone to rust on these things?

13. Giersh

Giersh Newbie

Truck:
    So anyone have any tips about how to fabricate a gas pedal? I can't seem to find one ANYWHERE!!

14. priusjames

priusjames Enthusiast

Truck:
    75 Hi-lux
    Nice truck for the price(!)...looks like the bed is rusting from the outside-in!

My .02 cents about the fuel issues:

I say go with Sea-Foam, too, if you haven't done anything yet. In the carb and the fuel tank.

Then, when you have time (or maybe before anything else), remove your gas tank and look at all the crap inside. Don't use a lighter or match to look inside, though!

If it's bad, clean it out the best you can. Maybe check if new ones are available for sale...could be cheaper than fixing the old one if you can get one. If not, I've been told that a solution of Phosphoric acid and water (you'll have to do research to get proportions...mostly water...) left filled in the tank overnight will do an amazing job of clearing it out and leave a nice "pickled" finish. You can also see if there's an internal filter and clean that out real good.

Otherwise, if it's bad and you want to address it, look for a "gas tank renu" place (interwebby search) nearby. Or, check out www.rusteco.com to send your tank for service. Best case scenario, it's nice and clean inside and you know that for sure.

Look for another filter underneath the bed somewhere...my truck has one, maybe yours does too. Be ready to replace those white plastic filters a few times no matter what...especially if you don't clean out the system really good. Whatever you suck in from the tank will end up clogging those.

You could also have crap inside the metal portion of the fuel line from tank to carb.

Replace all rubber fuel line, it's cheap and becomes the weakest link in your system at some point.

Whew...amazing how all that old-school info comes pouring out when I think about it.

Good luck, and let us know how things progress!

James

15. Giersh

Giersh Newbie

Truck:
    I caught that little white fuel filter already, and replaced it. It was sludgey and clumped up with gookiness. The gas tank is pretty clean as far as I can tell. I picked up a bottle of Seafoam, and plan to use as directed. Gotta get a damn battery first. Fuel lines are next. The exhaust good before the muffler. Rusty, but not rusted OUT. Unemployment is making this a difficult venture. I figure a running vehicle is a big bonus there, though, since our city [read:village] is rather spread out. Come August, I'll be moving to Atlanta [in panhandle FL now]. Anybody around Atlanta?

16. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    I used to live in Pensacola, and I spent time in Macon, GA for a while... But... I'm in Seattle now...

17. Giersh

Giersh Newbie

Truck:
    Then you may know how bad Milton sucks, and how spread out everything is. I imagine Seattle is much better. And Macon is kinda lame, too, but not nearly as bad as Wrens or Browntown.

18. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    LOL! It is quite true... Living closer to Pensacola wasn't too bad... I left back in '99 after I turned 18, though... I hated Macon something fierce... The only reason I moved there was a buddy of mine was moving out for the first time and wanted to be closer to Mercer University, so we got a place in Macon. I met my first wife there, and I had my car broken into for the first time there as well.

19. 79muttyota

79muttyota Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 sr5
    i live in rome ga about 45 minutes nw of atl.

20. Fokai671

Fokai671 Member

bringing the 671 culture to Lakewood one day @ a t
    Truck:
    1980 SR-5
    Thats a sweet SR5 shes got alot of potential.