83 2wd diesel

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Tony James, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Tony James

Tony James Newbie

Hello everyone,
    my name is Anthony I’ve got a 2wd 83 diesel (not sure on the trim exactly)
    My grandfather bought it brand new in Stockton California in 83 and has kept it in pristine condition and has now given it to me. Im not sure how far I’ll go with this build besides lowering and interior upgrades but the future has more to tell!
    Just wanted to come on here and ask a few question that I hoping to get answered. I’ve spent sometime now looking through the suspension category for this year truck and when it comes to lowers we have a few select options. Torsions or suspension swap for the front and block and drop leafs for the rear. Im looking for a 2.5-3inch drop on the front and rear. Personally I think I want to go with drop leaf’s for the rear because I don’t want to deal with any axel play and I’ll just stick with torsion for now bc coilovers kits/swaps are expensive. So if I get the beltech drop leafs and a new set of shorter shocks is that it or do I have to adjust the geometry of my driveline bc my rear is now lower? I’ve seen suggestion for the Monroe 58654 but just wonder if anyone on here has done this exact project and has an good recommendation and could tell me more about how to complete this project and how it handles with drop leafs in the back. Also does loosening the torsion bars add and other sort of strain to other front suspension components. Thank you to all that respond! Looking forward to leaning more! <3

Attached Files:

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    I would just keep it stock. That truck is worth a lot of money “as is”. The diesels are way underpowered. You could get the look, but no speed unless you do an engine swap. Very few upgrades available for Toyota diesels.
    I would sell the truck(with gramps permission) and buy an already modified ride or good used truck and modify to your specifications. There are buyers who will pay premium price for that truck (AS IS).

elliott likes this.
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thats a VERY nice truck. And you're on the right path, drop leafs and shorter shocks front and back. It WILL ride like shit up front if you drop it via torsion bars

4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    It's like a 40 yr old virgin truck!! Super clean.

On your truck you can't go the cheap route, you'll hurt it's feels. Lol Drop leafs in the rear are your best bet! Handles better under load and eliminates almost all axle bind on rough roads with the upgraded shocks, of course the e best setup would be a nicely done 4 link but that's over kill on your truck. Up front, it could get pricey.. about $1k just for cool over parts and fab work. But it's adjustable!! Might be overkill. Another option could be drops spindles and a ball joint flip. Or a lowering Lower control arm. Last option I would take... Drop it with torsion bars, but upgrade to 1 ton bars. So you can lower the front without sacrificing some ride quality. Ad a thicker sway bar if you dnt have one.

For power like mentioned, not a big aftermarket scene on the diesel unless you swap another diesel.. but you could go bigger turbo! Just remember this was the 'eco' option

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Stabfab has the front coilover conversion parts. All bolt in

6. Tony James

Tony James Newbie

Yea these trucks never came turbo charged it has the 1L which it a NA 2188cc mechanical injection diesel. I’ve got some longtube headers..I might put them on or sell them not sure. I’m not really interested in messing with engine and trying to make more power. It’s meant to be a fuel efficient slow ass truck. I go turning up the fuel or turboing it I’ll crack the head and then it’s over. I Mainly just want something that looks cool. Maybe if I’m a millionaire one day Ill try and turbo it but this engine in stock form will last me forever, I’m in the process of acquiring all major rebuild parts for this engine so 20 or so years from now I can have a brand new engine again!! Yea I think my plan will be drop leaf’s and air shocks in the back and pickup the control arms and coilover bracket kit from sabfab. This trucks means a lot to me and I’d need any offer I couldn’t refuse to ever sell it. I’ll be happy to share my progress on this forum!

Erwin Merida likes this.
  7. Tony James

Tony James Newbie

Yea I don’t want something that rides like shit so I’ll do the conversion using sabfab kit, kinda expensive but 100% worth it. If I had the money and confidence id cnotch it and bag this baby.

8. Tony James

Tony James Newbie

Not really interested in selling it. I’d need enough money from someone to be able to accept the fact that I’d never own a Toyota diesel again that’s in this good condition. I don’t really care to make this truck fast at all!
    I just want it to look as cool as it is rare.

9. Tony James

Tony James Newbie

Thanks for the response! I’ll continue to share my progress of the build on this forum!