'80 Heater vent problem

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by cruuz, Nov 22, 2014.

1. cruuz

cruuz Newbie

Truck:
    It's an '80
    Ok so last winter I noticed this problem but didn't feel the need to piss with it, but I'd really rather not deal with it for another cold season. I never change my vent setting from the defrost setting, blows heat on the windshield and the feet. What I've noticed is this: regardless of what location setting the heat is on, and even with the blower off, there seems to be outside air coming in thru the 2 round swivel vents on the face of the dash near the doors. There is no setting that pushes heat thru these vents, so when it's cold outside and I'm rolling any faster than 35-40mph, cold air is blasting into the cabin. I've tried switching from fresh air to recirc and that also makes no difference. Wasn't ever a big deal before since my drive to work was all city driving, but now that I've switched jobs I'm on the highway fairly often for my commute and have grown weary of the arctic blast at 6am. Any insight would be much appreciated

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Take your dash apart and inspect the ducting and controls.

The weatherstripping decays, ducts fall off or are fitted together with nothing sealing them, the control cables can seize up or pull out of the levers they control, etc....

Been meaning to do this with my truck, since i have to manually control the heat valve under the hood.... Something broke, seized up or came undone from the cold/hot control lever...

3. cruuz

cruuz Newbie

Truck:
    It's an '80
    You're bursting my bubble man, I was hoping for one easy fix lolz. Maybe the easy part will be finding the problem behind the first panel I remove? I'll hold out for that one:doah: