78 with 22re swap

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 4lo4fun, Nov 26, 2020.

1. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    This is the first post of my build thread.

BACKSTORY:
    Picked up a 78 for some dingbat that didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground when it came to working on cars. Things were not how they should have been at all. He had swapped in a 22r and w5x trans and driveshaft from an 83 pickup. He used 2.5" screws to hold license plates over the massive rust holes in the floor and in the engine bay. He also had a 3/4" fitting threaded into the side of the intake manifold with a heater hose run to it. It also had a blown head gasket which was dumping coolant into two cylinders. Got most of it fixed as correctly as I could. Engine now runs, but runs like poop.Found that compression was 90psi, 90psi, 70psi, 90psi. Well crap!!!

Fast forward to the present.
    Today I picked up most of a 92 pickup with complete running 22re.

Sunday I'm going to the shop to start tearing into it. Going to be swapping everything that I can minus the emissions junk. I'm hoping to see if I can make the power steering work, but I'm not too dead set on having it. Also going to see about swapping as much of the dash components to try and keep a/c and heat.

WISH ME LUCK
    MORE TO COME, SO STICK AROUND

2. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    20201127_165624.jpg Got the donor truck in the shop this evening before I left work.
    Gonna show up early and start on stripping it down for the swap.

More to come tomorrow

3. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    Got the dash and all the wiring pulled out this morning. Just a few more things to take out and I can bring the 78 to the shop. Screenshot_20201129-110008_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20201129-105854_Gallery.jpg

Attached Files:

4. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    Screenshot_20201129-184554_Gallery.jpg Got the dash pulled on the 78 this afternoon. In the process of test fitting and modifying the dash from the 92 to fit in the 78.

Its not going to be fun or easy.
    It looks like I'm going to have to chop out some of the metal part of the dash in order to get the placement I'm looking for.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Noooo. Shouldve kept the original dash in there

Perkolator likes this.
  6. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    I can still put it back. I'm weighing my options and consulting the shop manuals to see of i can run the factory guages or not.

I know the speedo on the new trans is electronic and the 78 has a cable. I need to see if the speedo gear will work with the new trans.

7. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    I am hoping to try and use as much of the wiring from the donor truck as well. Like rewiring the lights and fuel pump and stuff.

8. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    Daah from the 92 won't work at all. It won't mount where it needs to.
    So, next best thing?
    Custom dash with donor truck gauges and bezel.

Found some decent sized pieces of aluminum that I think will fit the bill.
    Going to start cutting it up hopefully tomorrow evening.

(No @jetas, I'm not going to have to cut the factory sheet metal. I did have to remove the rivets to remove the factory dash.)

Screenshot_20201202-212747_Gallery.jpg

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Is the cluster required for the ecu? If not I wouldn't try to retro fit it and everything. The original cluster is way better looking. The other one will look out of place. Routing may not be ideal to use the entire harness. It might be best to simplify it to everything you need for the engine. If stuff like wiring for the lights is in bad shape replace as needed.

On a side note there is someone that swapped a Datsun z dash in one of these trucks. Looked awesome. But a nice z dash is about a grand. Not doing that anytime soon.

Perkolator likes this.
  10. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Im (still) doing the same swap. :drunk:

I havent come up with the best way to swap the hinge from the gas petal to the cable of the 22re.

jetas likes this.
  11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I believe i used the factory pedal bracket, nut, bolt, washers and flat stock and some steel rod.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    I'm going to be having a couple weeks off work, so I'll be posting my ideas and progress.

jetas likes this.
  13. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    I'm hoping to swap the whole pedal.

14. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    Got the engine, trans, and all of the harnesses pulled out.
    Got the 22re, w55, fuel system, and harnesses from the donor in.

I think I'm going to extend the wiring for the AFM to have it on the passenger side, as there is not a lot of room to run it over the fan shroud.

Battery is relocated to the bed due to not having a battery tray under the hood.

Still have to finish wiring the lights and a couple other small things I'm forgetting.

Also have to figure out the dash dilemma. Screenshot_20201222-101414_Gallery.jpg

Perkolator likes this.
  15. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    This week was less productive than I wanted, but got a few things knocked out.
    Got the front end lights all wired up, relocated the AFM to the passenger side, I'm going to be using the original heater because the heater from the donor truck won't fit no matter what I do.

Gas petal is partially installed, I will need to drill a hole for to top mounting bolt.

I think I'm at a point where I could fire it up. But it is lacking fluids for the time being.

More updates coming soon.

16. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    UPDATE:

Got most of the lights working, turn signals still flash faster than I want them to. But they are all working.

Got fluids in the engine and trans.
    Bled clutch.
    Got 98% of the wiring sorted. Still have to figure out how to get the heater working, but I'm not terribly concerned with that.

BEST PART: It runs!

I did find a vacuum leak on the back of the upper intake plenum where the egr bolts to it.
    Pulled off the block off plate and gasket and gobbed on some Hondabond. That should seal it up good.

Test drive is tomorrow if I don't have snow on the ground.

17. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    It survived the test drive.
    It seems like the front right caliper is being weird. It'll lock up only that one tire on hard braking.
    Other than that it did well.
    Ideas anyone?

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Try bleeding the brakes again

19. 4lo4fun

4lo4fun Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 hilux
    So I took it on a longer drive, about 30 miles or so, and there was a clunking on deceleration but stopped when i pressed the brake pedal. I jacked it up and wiggled the tire left and right, and it sounded like the clunking was in the steering. I didn't feel anything in the steering wheel and everything under the truck felt tight.
    The drivers side rotor won't rotate easily by hand, with or without the tire on, but the passenger side will. The drivers side rotor it's pretty thick, the passenger side rotor is about 2/3 as thick.

How hard are these calipers to rebuild?

20. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Fairly simple. A few bolts hold it together, some o rings i think and then the boots and spring clamp things and its assembled. Have some sand paper and a compressor handy so you can pop out the pistons. Message me if you need any help, i rebuilt mine before i installed them