78 pickup not starting after engine swap

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by glitchinq, Oct 31, 2015.

1. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

old motor **** itself so i swapped in another 20r from a celica and now that ive got everything together and im trying to start it im having problems. i did start it and it ran for a total of maybe 2 seconds then died and now it wont start again. it also backfired out the carb.
    im just open to any suggestions and in the morning i can go out and try everything

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Check the timing.

3. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

im all new to this stuff still but to be sure about firing order it goes 1-3-4-2 correct? also when im at TDC the rotor in the distributor points to the first spark plug wire.

4. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

i should probably mention that i have little to no vacuum lines. i tried to recreate what it had on before since i got the truck with most of the stuff already missing and capped off. i plan on getting a weber but i just want to get the truck running again

5. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

checked spark again and it is weak. orange colored.

6. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    When it's on the compression stroke and TDC the rotor should be positioned over the #1 plug wire.
    I suggest you get a Chilton's or Haynes manual. They will give you step by step trouble shooting procedures.
    Too many unknowns to diagnosis online.

7. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

correct. ive made sure it was all facing the right direction and now im going to swap out my ignition control module. i have a few people saying its a electrical issue and im pretty sure they are right. my ignition control module is still the same one from the factory and during the swap i left the hood off and it got rained on and all that junk. if this doesnt work im going to look through all the electrical