77 Hilux Carb Issues I think anyway

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by CamperYota, Feb 17, 2022.

1. CamperYota

CamperYota Newbie

New to the toyota world just got a good deal on a low mile 77 hilux camper honestly when I first got it a dopehead had it before me and it ran great started fine revved up good even but as soon as it was in gear moving it wouldnt hardly pull itself so I rebuilt the original carb made an outstanding difference but now it starts fine runs and drives great but like right before I feel the need to shift itll stutter until you let off the gas but then if you just floor it and let it stutter itll work through after like 20 secs of stuttering sometimes less itll take off like a scalded dawg or if you shift early to bog it down and floor it itll work itself up to the rpm it stutters at and wont stutter but like said I'm new to toyota need advice

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    May need to open the carb and make sure its not clogging up. Mine used to fall on its face if i floored it, secondary jet was clogged.

3. CamperYota

CamperYota Newbie

I've took the carb apart cleaned and rebuilt it I was also over cautious on the cleaning of it but I cant even say mine falls on its face it just hits a certain higher rpm and starts doing the huck a buck

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Have you checked/replaced the fuel filter(s)?

5. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Aisan carburetors are almost impossible to rebuild correctly. The rebuild kits are inexpensive, but contain so many small components getting them all to fit correctly is almost impossible.
    I gave up on my factory carb and just replaced with a Weber 32/36. Threw the carb and remaining kit pieces in the trash.