'75 facelift front end on '73

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Hilux and Stout Discussion' started by yamahauler, Jul 5, 2022.

1. yamahauler

yamahauler Newbie

Hi, I have a 73 and was hoping to convert to the 75 and later front. i know that a few people have done this on this forum and I was just wondering the parts needed to go about this, seeing as I have the grill and not much lines up. I was originally contemplating welding new tabs to the rad support but looks like the headlight buckets are off too. Thank you for any help, I'm sorry if this has been posted already. I have tried searching
    -Johnny

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Headlights are in a slightly different spot. Valance is different. Hood MAY be a little longer at the front on the 75+ because mine has a large gap.
    Mine is ziptied in place, will definitely be making tabs in the near future

oh and the vertical brace that supports the hood latch doesnt exactly line up

3. yamahauler

yamahauler Newbie

Thanks so much for the response. Been following your build on here a while and it is very inspiring to say the least! I love these trucks, and it is so rad to have a community of people keeping them alive.
    I got some new repop fenders a while back because mine had rusted completely off where they attach to the rocker panel. i believe these were for the 75 and up because the side marker holes were different. needless to say they didn't fit great (probably partially due to being cheap copies, maybe somewhat because of the later year) but i got them close enough. still trying to get the gaps between the doors and hood a little better. the truck like most of them still around today has its fair share of rust. just trying to get it close enough panel wise to sand it down, treat/patch as much of the rust as possible and shoot a quick single stage paint job. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to mount this grill. but having a hard time getting the lights to line up. tried to oval the mounting holes bucket to give me some room to move them to sit right in the new grill but still wasn't enough. if these wernt so scarce to find id probably cut the rad support out of a newer one and run everything new from that up. just wasn't sure if there was a easier way to do this.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I had to wallow out the mounting holes on the buckets and remove the chrome trim rings on the from the grille to get it to somewhat line up. If you have access to a welder you can always mod the mounting points.