74 hilux brake problems need some help

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by 74hiluxshark, Oct 9, 2012.

1. 74hiluxshark

74hiluxshark Newbie

As I have seen others on here say I always need a few pumps to get the right pressure to slow down or stop. The other day on my way to work coming to a stop sign almost rear ended the car in front of me. I lost all pressure had to franticly pump my brakes ten more times to get it to stop. A friend and I bleed my brakes yet i still can't seem to get any pressure on the pedal when i start the thing up. also having problems with one of my master cylinders was pumping out a lot while i was bleeding and still over flows when i apply my foot to the brake pedal. please and input or advice i welcome thank you for your time.

2. brovender

brovender Enthusiast

Truck:
    1973 Hilux RN27
    mine's kinda the same way but not nearly as bad as your description. it could be any number of things but if i were you i'd replace the master cylinder asap (they have plenty on rockauto.com) and take a good look at your entire braking system. you may need new wheel cylinders as well. good luck!

3. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    i kinda had the same problem with my truck. the pedal would sink to the floor n braking was really sketchy at best. bled the brakes twice, still had prob. found out the slide pins were sticking. first easy check -caliper slide pins. also make sure the piston is not binding. use vice grips n compress piston see if it can move "freely". just an easy check before u start dumping money into new parts.

4. brovender

brovender Enthusiast

Truck:
    1973 Hilux RN27
    were disc brakes stock by '74?

5. Inertia

Inertia Enthusiast

74 was last year for front drum brakes ,i bought all four front wheel cylinder and master cylinder and still gave me bad braking ,my suggestion is to swap it to disc once you do that less things that can go wrong ,and each wheel cylinder is like 30 to 40 buck i didthe swap and ive never look back ,best investment ever

6. brovender

brovender Enthusiast

Truck:
    1973 Hilux RN27
    intertia, did you buy all new parts or junkyard hunt them down? (i.e. the discs, calipers, spindles...)

7. Inertia

Inertia Enthusiast

junkyard spindles disc and brakes, rotors turn new pads and Brake Caliper Repair Kit