73 Hilux

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by AllanG, Sep 21, 2020.

1. AllanG

AllanG Newbie

Truck:
    73 Hilux
    I have owned this truck since 2012 and apparently been a member of this forum since then also which I had forgotten. It was a work truck, and then it got put in the side yard and I never had a chance to do anything with it. Now it’s time to get running again and fixed up. Pictures are how it is sitting today, and the tear down of the spare 18RC progress so far. Only plans I have are rebuild the spare engine and swap it in to get it drivable and a set of budget lowering blocks/springs. Mighty max springs and blocks I think, just not sure what size block to use and if I can even get the springs locally. The rack has to come off also.
    0B35B7BA-2FE7-4707-8660-FDF5A67E8B00.jpeg 6796A371-DD40-4E71-9B8E-DBC3A08D6C2E.jpeg

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Shit il highly recommend switching over to a 20R or 22R engine.
    Pull that thing out of the weeds and clean it up man

3. AllanG

AllanG Newbie

Truck:
    73 Hilux
    An engine swap is not off the table, I just have 2 18RC engines so I can get it running at least. I’ll look at building a 22r or a 1uz maybe. I have not found any 22r engines that are cheap enough around here.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Hell if you can do any swap id say throw in whatever is easy to come by thats affordable. Newer updated engines are always a nice upgrade

5. AllanG

AllanG Newbie

Truck:
    73 Hilux
    Little bit of progress today, ordered and installed a Weber carb. I need to fix the fuel system, I’m thinking I’ll just add an electric fuel pump and a regulator need fuel filters. One problem is throttle linkage doesn’t fit, it touches the choke assembly. So I need to figure that out still. Maybe I can just bend it out of the way to get the clearance, I’ll have to look closer at it and get some pictures later.