73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Come to think of it its probably the head gasket. The water wasn't really that hot in the overflow.

2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Fender mirrors came. Much more useful then the old ones. Did some more diagnosing. Ran it at idle for about 10 mins. I had noticed white smoke at start up for a while that would clear up pretty quick. Didnt notice it today. Always thought it was the carb adapter. Ran it without the radiator cap the whole time. Didnt notice any moving water. The heater core was getting warm. After the ten minutes I held it at 2k or so then revved it. Started to get smoke with the revs. I guessing that's more then enough to tell me my head gasket is bad. Think I found a decent rebuild kit. Has all the basics along with the oil pump, timing assembly, cover, water pump for about 275. I was thinking about building the head all the way but I think I'll go mild for now.

Screenshot_20200221-165117_Messages.jpg

3. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    I was gonna suggest a leak-down tester for verification but looks like you got the proof you required.

Second thought, Have you replaced your thermostat yet?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  4. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Mirrors look great! Where did you source them?

5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The break away style with the spring. It's the same style that's on the jdm brochure.

6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
  7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    So looking into a 22r. From what I can tell it's an early one. Has the header off to be able to get an idea. Blew a sparkplug. Recently rebuilt with a new crank and things. No intake. Head had some work done 500 bucks. If I get it I might do what I did with mine and find a used intake for the weber. But I would plan on eventual doing the hybrid.

I keep on pricing the rebuild in my head and I leave out major parts and machine work cost. It's getting up there. With all the new parts it seems like a good deal. As long as it wasn't assembled wrong. In the listing he states hes using another built motor. Not sure it that's a hint.

Questions

Will my bell housing work?

What numbers do I want for an early block?

Just got a message from the guy. It has dome pistons. Pretty sure that let's me know a 20r head will work.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Theres a casting mark on the exhaust side of the newer blocks that the older ones didnt have. You dont want the block with that mark. Its a UFO looking mark by the oil pan

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    IMG_20200224_162812_529.jpg

The grill finally came. Spent some time fitting it up. Also fixed the lazy eye.

74RN22 likes this.
  10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Might be getting that 22r tomorrow. My boss is looking to pick it up for me. It was looking good till I messaged him after getting his address and number that my guy would be in touch when he gets done with a job he will be on. Then he says cool I'll be out of town most of the day. We had already agreed on a time so that was weird. This motor has lce crank, rods, and pistons. Head has Upgraded cam new rockers and springs. Has the duel row timing chain so I'm guessing he did the metal guides. Also comes with a gasket kit. Crossing my figures this works out.

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Hopefully it does, sounds like a good come up

Pearce likes this.
  12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Yeah I figure the total build cost will be alot lower and I will have a few upgraded parts I probably wasn't going to replace anyway.

The boss has the money and is on the road. Now it's a waiting game. Luckily it's my birthday and I have a few plans to keep me busy as I wait for the word.

jetas likes this.
  13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The engine is secured. Going to unload it tomorrow and check it out.

Just did some pricing on valves, guides, seals and keepers. It was around 250 before shipping. Not really bad. But I might not put much focus on upgrades yet and just get it together. I'm starting to get a stock pile going.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    jetas likes this.
  14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Sweet!

15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    For some reason my photos are rotating. Didnt get to look over it much. I wanted to mock up the head and check the clearances but the shop needs attended to first. The boss was was saying it has 11.0:1 compression ratio or something like that. Probably going to hit up the guy and get the full specs of the pistons crank and cam. Noticed the stem seals in the gasket kit. Saves me 30 bucks or so right there. I might just upgrade the valves. Oh and I was hoping for duel valve springs but they are single. Oh well. 20200226_100027.jpg 20200226_100038.jpg 20200226_102618.jpg 20200226_103630.jpg

16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    First parts for the build are ordered. Found a flywheel and stage 3 clutch kit for a little over 100. Decided to give it a go. I guess I'll have a spare clutch kit. Also ordered new flywheel bolts and head bolts. Just some of the basics to be ready for final assembly.

Well went ahead and ordered stage 5 valves from lce. Down the hole I go.

And diving deep. New guides, duel valve springs, retainers and keepers are ordered.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    jetas likes this.
  17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Are you going to dyno the truck after you finish up with the engine?

18. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I might. I think speed factory has dyno days.

19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Broke open the new motor today. Started off a little scary. In the cylinder the sparkplug blew there was a pile of metal shavings. Pretty sure it was an attempted Helicoil repair but gave up. The walls looked really good. Still had the cross hatching. The boss was there to help me know what to look for. Figured out its bored .050 over. Turned over by hand pretty easy. So it's looking good. I'll probably bust open the oil pan tomorrow and get a look at the crank and rods.

20. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The boss wanted to know the calculation for displacement. Not 100 percent sure of the crank but I shot him the 2 numbers I had. 2.424 or nearly 2.6 with a stroker. I said I need to message the guy and get the crank and cam specs. Then he said shot me the link I'll probably remember the name of it. Shot him over the lce link. He was like "ummm... it's the outlaw. I loved the first line in the description."

First line "Now here's the BIG DOG!!"

Lmao. Now my only question about what I have is the crank. And also where the pilot barring was there was a rubber plug. It was joed up and had rust marks. We are wounding if this guy ever put in the pilot barring. It was kind of odd to see.