73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I feel you in that. Im debating on switching mine from the E choke to manual

2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Yeah the fact that as soon as it gets power it starts to open deterred me. With the old carb it took awhile before I could open it up. If they had water I would of considered that. I did just learn though a weber with a water choke helped killed my dad's spitfire back in the day. So I'll stick with the cable.

3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Spent a good while on the throttle. I looked up a picture of what it looks like but I think I'm missing a piece on my firewall. Cant tell tho. The piece supplied does nothing for me. Pulled the old lever off but I cant get full throttle. Thinking about just twisting up some coat hanger for now.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The E choke has actually been ok for me. If the blades open up it still doesnt drop idle til i tap the pedal

5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    So I got the front brakes done today. Finished up the carb install. Got my spark plugs and wires in and no fire. Pretty sure my timing is off a good bit. I messed with the dizzy and got it to kick but gave up because it was getting late and I dont want to piss off the neighbors by starting my truck with an open header. I'll probably have my brother or boss try and help me tomorrow.

Edit

Said screw the neighborhood. Theres a guy with a crazy loud Toyota across the street anyway. I go check and set my base timing. 8 past on the second mark. Look and pull the distributor. Point the arm at the clip and put it back in. I had done it the week before and it didnt appeared to be be off. I hook up my timing light and nothing. Thought it might have died but then I remembered. My fuel pump had stopped worked early today. I pulled the coil and fuel pump fuse to not accidentally send power to them. The fuses did not seat right. Cheap fuse block. So I tweak the fuse pull out my timing light and on the first flash she fired up. Ran it for a minute. Really happy with my day.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    jetas and 74RN22 like this.
  6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Great feeling when it fires up

7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    So this morning I went to start her up and diel it in after running like a champ last night and couldnt get it started. After a while of messing with wires and timing it fired up again. Ran great for like 5 minutes. Got the timing dialed by ear. Was able to open the choke and get a low idle speed and hold. Then it shut off. Thought it might of just been running out of gas. I put a gallon in and try. No luck. My brother eventually comes over to help. He quickly confirms intermittent spark. He noticed the cap and rotor look old. I've never tackled a basic tune up before so I didnt know all what I should grab. Grab that nothing. He starts wondering about ground. Dosnt seem to be a problem. Then he checked the dwell. It showed 18 or so. He let me no what exactly that means. We mess with the points and gap and get it close to idling. Ended up calling it a day and plan on get new points and condenser tomorrow after work. Now I know though plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points ,and condenser are the basics of an old car ignition tune up.

Funny thing is I had a couple people tell me its fuel. I'm like no I'm getting bad spark. The neighbor said "poor gas down the carb. I dont trust that starting fluid." After I told her it's a spark problem.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The premature ig post before it went down hill. This was before I opened the choke and messed with the idle speed.

Also plan on getting closer to finalizing wires. Got stuff for soldering coming. A life time supply of heat shrink and wire wrap coming. And most everything to start on the exhaust. The only thing Ieft is flanges ,hangers, and a tip. I figure I can cut in flanges at anytime. It's only for convenience. I can get some rod from the scrap bin at the old shop I worked at. And the tip I dont really care about right now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4lHH6bAWmP/?igshid=1w2jkbrvupkxq

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    74RN22 likes this.
  9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    For the first time in a long time in Washington it rained. Still waiting on the points. Wasn't going to work on the exhaust in the rain so an unproductive day.

10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Threw the points and condenser in and nothing. I'm going to ground it a little better but I dont think that's it. Coil may of went out. I did have it keyed on doing nothing for 30 minutes or so. I'm going to keep messing with it but I think it's time to convert.

Looking at a pertronix ignition system. Replaces the points and no need for an ignition module. Seems like it would eliminate lobe wear. Has some sort of magnetic ring that goes in place. They dont have a direct part for the pickup. They do have it for a 75 celica. I'm assuming the celica had a 20r by 75. I did not get a forsure answer from an internet search. Clarification would be nice. I'll probably talk to a rep before I go ahead and purchase. If lobe wear is an issue I might consider a d.u.i system.

11. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    If you get desperate, I believe the 20R system should fit in an 18R distributor housing. When I installed an 18RG into my 1979 Celica, I took the guts out of an extra 20R distributor and put it in the 18RG distributor. I did it because the pickup coil, rotor, and connector were different from the 1979 ignition system. As far as I could tell (and it ran fine) the distributor's innards are freely and easily interchangeable.

Pearce likes this.
  12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The motor was swapped to a 20r at some point. Good info tho. I just wanted info on the 75 celica and if it had a 20r. If it did I assume it would have points and the pertronix system would work. Even if it has the 18rg with your info I think it would work then.

13. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pertronix systems use the same setup for multiple Toyotas per this example... Same setup worked for the 2TG...

1977-75 4 Celica, Corona (20R) 1641 91641

1976-71 4 Corolla 1200 1641 91641

1976-75 4 Corolla 1600 with single point distributor 1641 91641

1974-72 4 Carina, Celica, Corolla 1600, Corona 1641 91641

1972 4 Corona MK II 1641 91641

1971 4 Corolla 1600 1641 91641

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Pearce likes this.
  14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Probably going to buy it forsure if I cant get it going tomorrow with my brothers help.

15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I just went ahead and ordered the ignitor 2 [91641] and the 3ohm coil. Ordered off Advanced auto with a 25% off coupon bringing it to 147 and some change. Pretty much got the coil free from them. Funny thing is online it insist it will not fit. Ill take the chance. Got the info i wanted. There is a store half a mile away anyway if i want to return it. I hope it can get here soon. Really want to get it running again.

74RN22 likes this.
  16. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    The specification below those photos was taken directly from a page from Pertronix Catalog 2012 I believe.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Pearce likes this.
  17. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    With you're info im not worried. This is the way to go for me. I looked into the dui system more and realized i would need new wires at close to 100 bucks for the set. And it dosnt sound like one is more reliable then the other. But user error on install seems to be the biggest killer of the Pertronix.

18. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    D'Oh!! Sorry. I had a brain fart. I forgot you had said it had a 20R...

Pearce likes this.
  19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Well looks like Im going to need to get her registered and get some plates. Landlord is getting pissed. The neighbors have a couple pos's that make mine look bad. One is complete scrap that should of been gone months ago. But dude filled it with junk. Pretty sure no one will take it without being paid and thats why its not gone. Another one is some 90s chevy pickup on a flat. The only thing done on that one was they pushed it into the carport after it was about to get towed. I was going to wait till the new year. Washington state just passed 30 dollar tabs after messing it up a couple years ago. Still not sure if ill get collectors plates or regular plates. At least when i get them i can go for a test drive after i get it running.

20. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Just got the pertronix igniter and coil installed. Started right up. Super happy. Not totally ready. I need to replace the screws holding it down for counter sunk ones. And solder the wires. Had to extend them.

Just got some screws from the neighbor that worked. Its definitely very eager to fire up now. I plain on doing the timing chain, cam, and rockers when I get it on the road. I want to get out of the weather so Im going to bring it to the workshop. I have a new master cylinder coming. Hoping for some black Friday deals in my favor so I can get the stuff for the rear brakes. Might knock those out before I get on the road. Really need to do the tie rods idler arm and pitman arm as well before I hit it. If I had plates I would be driving right now. So close.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    74RN22 likes this.